Friday, December 20, 2013

Review: Fracture Me (Shatter Me, #2.5)


Fracture Me (Shatter Me, #2.5)Author: Tahereh Mafi
Series: Shatter Me, #2.5
Published: December 17th 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: ebook, 62 pgs
Buy: Amazon

In this electrifying sixty-page companion novella to the New York Timesbestselling Shatter Me series, discover the fate of the Omega Point rebels as they go up against The Reestablishment. Set during and soon after the final moments of Unravel Me, Fracture Me is told from Adam's perspective.
As Omega Point prepares to launch an all-out assault on The Reestablishment soldiers stationed in Sector 45, Adam's focus couldn't be further from the upcoming battle. He's reeling from his breakup with Juliette, scared for his best friend's life, and as concerned as ever for his brother James's safety. And just as Adam begins to wonder if this life is really for him, the alarms sound. It's time for war.
On the battlefield, it seems like the odds are in their favor—but taking down Warner, Adam's newly discovered half brother, won't be that easy. The Reestablishment can't tolerate a rebellion, and they'll do anything to crush the resistance . . . including killing everyone Adam has ever cared about.
Fracture Me sets the stage for Ignite Me, the explosive finale in Tahereh Mafi's epic dystopian series. It's a novella not to be missed by fans who crave action-packed stories with tantalizing romance like Divergent by Veronica Roth, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, and Legend by Marie Lu.
Weird how things can change in very short periods of time! At the beginning of this series, there were Adam and Juliette, and I couldn’t imagine anything else. Then came Destroy Me, Warner’s novella that showed a whole new side of him, and (to my own surprise) I started thinking he might be a better choice for her after all. But my heart was breaking for poor Adam. I saw him as a nice and honest – if somewhat plain – boy, not strong enough and certainly not insightful enough to fully understand someone as messed up as Juliette.

However, just like the previous novella, Fracture Me made me completely change my mind. In only 62 pages, Adam has managed to convince me that he’s so very wrong for her, and what’s more, that he doesn’t even really love her. Regardless of my past feelings for him, which were lukewarm at best, I didn’t expect to see this level of anger, jealously, and most of all, weakness.

The thing that troubles me most about Adam, his own doubts and reservations aside, is that he sees Juliette as someone in need of protection, someone incapable of defending herself. Their relationship, as good as it might have seemed in the past, would never be a relationship of equals, never a true partnership. With Adam’s attitude, Juliette would never be free to grow to her full potential, she would always be kept back and sheltered. Unlike Warner, who keeps pushing her to be her best, even through nefarious means, Adam would wrap her in cotton and convince her she needs him – a big, strong soldier – to fight her battles.

Tahereh Mafi still does a wondrous job of adapting her writing to her POV character. It’s one of her greatest talents, I think, this ability to use writing as yet another tool for characterization. Adam’s narration is much like Adam himself – plain and a bit dry, with nothing distinctive about it.

Compared to Warner’s novella, Fracture Me is almost painfully short, but it contributes a lot to the series and sheds a very different light on Adam. I’m not sure how many fans he’ll have after this. If he ends up with Juliette after all, I for one am going to be very disappointed.

My three stars in no way reflect Tahereh’s writing and storytelling, which are brilliant. It’s more about the bitter disappointment this novella left me with, and it’s definitely a result of my strong dislike of Adam. I know I’ll be a sobbing mess after Ignite Me, though. Whichever way this goes, it can’t end well for everyone involved. Perhaps we should be smart about it and start a support group while there’s still time?
The clock is ticking, my friends. The heartbreak is almost here.


19 comments:

  1. Sign me up for the support group! Now that I've totally switched teams without looking back, I'm afraid Tahereh Mafi will stab me in the feels come Feb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't read Destroy Me yet but I really do want to. I've always liked Warner; I found Adam to be a little plain too. I really hope she chooses Warner... *crosses fingers* Maybe I'll read Fracture Me too.
    Seriously Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems to be an evil author, I do love those

    ReplyDelete
  4. This novella or Warner's novella isn't available for us readers in the UK yet, I think we get two books in one just before Ignite Me is released :( I know I will definitely be a sobbing mess too when Ignite Me is finally released. I think I know which character I will be backing, but it will be heartbreaking watching one character being left alone. Fab review as always lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read the first book in this series so far so I'm still on Adam's side but...it sounds like I need to get on the Warner train. Mafi is a fantastic writer if she can say so much in a short novella.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this series yet but I seriously want to start it now! You and Kim both felt the same way about this and about Adam it seems. Sounds like Adam wasn't all he was portrayed to be in the other novels.

    Great honest and insightful review Maja! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find this fascinating Maja! I was pretty solidly on Team Adam after reading Shatter Me, as I'm often on the side of the boy the heroine meets first (provided he's appealing in some way), but I love that Tahereh is so adeptly pulling back the layers on both boys to show pieces we missed on superficial examination. Vital pieces that change everything. Definitely need to get reading on this series, I have book 2, Warner's novella and this one to get to yet! Gorgeous review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Adam, but this novella made me kind of angry at him, which is upsetting. :( I didn't like the whole Juliette vs James things and the way he though of Juliette as weak. It didn't feel like the Adam I've come to know over the last two book. I kind of wish I hadn't read it now.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's a good novella if it change your mind about characters so much. I still need to read this series, though I DO want too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got book 1 not too long ago. Sorry that it was painfully short, I guess that's why I sometimes don't like them they always make you crave more. A lot to cram in such a little space with not enough!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't enjoy the prose of Shatter Me, but I'm constantly amazed by the fact that the love triangle in this book is such a tug-of-war. Great review, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WHAT?! I'm almost finished with the audio and I can't see Warner over Adam? WHAT?! You just broke my heart. Darn it! Now I'm so darn curious of the rest of the series. *tries to fix broken pieces of her heart* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree, this is not a flattering picture of Adam, and very different from how he seemed to act from Juliette's perspective. But it does serve to make him more complex. Mafi is the master of misdirection, and I'm still not convinced that she's not doing it here (aka I think she could be manipulating us). But if so, she's going to have to really work to turn us all around in the third book. In any case, you're right, there's no way to please everyone. I'm already in need of a support group!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Maja I felt bad too with my coffee cup rating but this was such a disappointment regarding Adam...I so agree with everything you said!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read any in this series I confess but I keep hearing great things about it. I think one day I'll have to try to see by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't grabbed this yet, but I think I'll definitely have to because I need to see this other side of Adam. Or rather, see in his head and what he's really thinking. I've been turning team Warner already but I'm terribly terrified for Ignite Me. I have a feeling my heart will be hurting. It's still disappointing to know that Adam isn't the guy we hoped he was.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't get hold of this in the UK, but even if I could, it doesn't sound like anything that I'd be brave enough to read. I'm loved Adam in the first book, and hate the thought of feeling any differently about him now. Unlike a lot of people, I can't get behind a Juliette and Warner pairing. :( I'd rather she not end up with anyone if that was the case. This love triangle makes me want to pull my hair out. It'll be interesting to see how everyone reacts to the final book! I know I'll probably seek out some spoilers before deciding to pick it up. Lovely review as always, Maja. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm dying to read this one as I'm still in between Adam and Warner. I mean Adam is a sweetheart and for that he'll always be there somewhere but I see the point here. Juliette would never be truly herself by his side. Great review, Maja :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wowwwwwww, after this review, I can't believe I haven't picked up this novella yet! I am not a fan of Adam, and completely agree with you about his over-protectiveness of Juliette, in contrast to Warner's desire for her to be strong and able to look after herself. A novella that just ends up proving that? Sounds like I need to read it ASAP. Really, really good review. Thank you, Maja!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.