Friday, December 6, 2013

Review: The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4)


The Fiery Heart (Bloodlines, #4)Author: Richelle Mead
Series: Bloodlines, #4
Released: November 19th 2013
Publisher: Razorbill
Format: Hardcover, 438 pages
Buy: The Book Depository

In The Indigo Spell, Sydney was torn between the Alchemist way of life and what her heart and gut were telling her to do. And in one breathtaking moment that Richelle Mead fans will never forget, she made a decision that shocked even her. . . .
But the struggle isn't over for Sydney. As she navigates the aftermath of her life-changing decision, she still finds herself pulled in too many directions at once. Her sister Zoe has arrived, and while Sydney longs to grow closer to her, there's still so much she must keep secret. Working with Marcus has changed the way she views the Alchemists, and Sydney must tread a careful path as she harnesses her profound magical ability to undermine the way of life she was raised to defend. Consumed by passion and vengeance, Sydney struggles to keep her secret life under wraps as the threat of exposure—and re-education—looms larger than ever.
Pulses will race throughout this thrilling fourth installment in the New York Times bestselling Bloodlines series, where no secret is safe.
The Bloodlines series and I got off to a rocky start. After the first book, I dare say I was bitterly disappointed and very, very sad. But the adjustment period didn’t last long as Golden Lily showed a radical improvement and, by the time The Indigo Spell came, I stopped thinking of Vampire Academy the entire time I was reading it and started thinking about Sydney and Adrian instead. Although it took some time for this series to free itself of the weight and glory of its predecessor, it is now a favorite in its own right.

One of the riskiest decisions Mead has ever made – the introduction of Adrian’s POV in The Fiery Heart, which must have been very hard to write – was also her smartest decision yet. Seeing Adrian struggle with the consequences of using spirit through someone else’s eyes, be it Rose or Sydney, is one thing, but to witness the depths of his depression in first person is a whole new, terrifying experience. These episodes of his were done tactfully and convincingly, showing us just enough to inspire dread for a beloved character, without either overdoing it or making it seem less serious than it actually is.

On the downside, the insight left me disappointed in Adrian to a certain extent. When the time came to show some faith and fight, even with very little hope left, he didn’t live up to my expectations. His depression is partly to blame, of course, but I still hoped for more from him, and was somewhat disillusioned when I didn’t get it.

It was also wonderful to witness Sydney’s newly found freedom and acceptance of all things vampire-related. She admittedly still has some hang-ups; after all, she didn’t get a personality transplant, but when she looks at Moroi and dhampirs, she sees people first, which is a radical change from her initial standpoint. Aside from being a nuisance, her sister Zoe served as a nice contrast, always there to emphasize the change in Sydney.

Although Mead boldly announced it, the emotional impact of Shadow Kiss wasn’t present in this book. I suspect it’s mostly because she announced it, and because of all the foreshadowing. While the events of Shadow Kissed came as a huge surprise, I’ve been expecting this for months, so when the time came to live through it, I barely even flinched.

I detest cliffhangers and enjoy my happy endings as much as the next girl, but I can live with this one, probably because there was more than enough foreshadowing and I’ve been expecting it for a very long time. Sydney and Adrian will surely find a way to beat the odds and make everything right again.

9 comments:

  1. I just started reading this one so I'm not too sure how I feel about it yet but I definitely liked that there's an Adrian POV. I like my fair share of bombshells but hopefully this one will be okay. I really hope I like the ending too! I'm a bit worried. :/ Thanks for sharing though! Awesome review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really excited that this one has Adrian's POV :) I wonder what might go on when Zoe became roommate with Sydney - bet I'd have to read this one to find out. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm. So am I to assume then that the same thing that happens in Shadow Kissed happens in this one? And she announced it ahead of time? That would reduce the emotional impact by quite a bit for sure, but overall I'm glad this series is now working so well for you despite your rocky start. I almost like it better when I have trouble early on in a series and then slowly find myself falling in love with it:) Must read these books Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm about to start reading this one and honestly I'm so afraid of seeing things from Adrian's POV. I mean I believe you all when you say it's amazing, but still, I don't want him to turn into all lovely and emotional and to lose himself. But I believe when you say it was great. Amazing review, Maja :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. everyone seems to love this one and it's at this time when I think I really need to go back to the series and read book 2 in the VA series. Yes, I know I'm so so behind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't read your review. So far I have only read the first VA book, and that was so long ago I might need to reread it. My plan is to one day start from the beginning and read all the books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do wish Adrian had stepped up a bit more near the end, but I also blame his depression. I've really enjoyed his POV and seeing what's it's like to live the emotional roller coaster of being a spirit user. We've had a few glimpses of Lissa's experiences through Rose's eyes, but I feel like this was a more emotional look at the ups and downs of so much power. I agree with you about the cliffie in this one being easier to endure because of the foreshadowing. I also just know it's going to make the next book very exciting. Hopefully Adrian will be able to get himself together mentally and step up in a bigger way in the next book. Amazing review Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe I haven't even started this series yet. I mean peeps who don't like YA, seem to enjoy this series. MUST read! I hate cliffies too, but you can handle this one? Okay, you have totally gotten me curious. Darn it! I need more reading time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's great this series ended up improving for you as it went along! I haven't read anything by this author, though I'm curious about the first series (Vampire Academy) what with the movie coming out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.