Monday, July 8, 2013

Review: Divinity (Divinity, #1)


Divinity (Divinity, #1)Author: Patricia Leever
Series: Divinity, #1
Release date: September 25th 2012
Publisher: Omnific Publishing
Paperback, 200 pages
Source: Publisher for review
Buy: Amazon

Demons. They're everywhere, hiding in plain sight. Chances are, you've interacted with one or two of them in your lifetime without even realizing it... Demon hunter Evelyn Brighton saves unsuspecting humans from the malevolent creatures masquerading around them every day. Working under the Lebriga Corporation's direction, she never fails to bring her A-game with her keen skill, fiercely independent spirit, and the best weapon in her arsenal: the Divinity blade. Evelyn's world is turned on its ear, however, when she is ordered to train cocky new recruit Daniel Summers. They both feel an instinctive pull drawing them to one another, the ancient spells tattooed into their skin illuminating whenever the two hunters come into contact. But with evil looming over the city of Los Angeles, Evelyn and Daniel's mutual competitiveness and sense of duty to Lebriga and all mankind forces them to hold back their desires. Will their restraint be enough to keep them focused and save southern California, or will the dark forces prevail? Set in modern-day Los Angeles, Divinity is an action-filled, fast-paced marriage of urban fantasy and paranormal romance. Edgy, witty, and sexy, it will bind you in its spell.

Divinity is equally divided between Evie and Daniel’s points of view and each of them brings something different to the story. Evie is 135 years old, she is – first and foremost – a demon hunter, and she’s very inflexible and unwilling to change. Daniel is younger, newly trained and still fairly optimistic. His devilish grin is a powerful weapon, especially when aimed at Evie and her hardened heart.

Unlike Evie, Daniel doesn’t take himself too seriously. He is strong and reliable in a fight, but away from battle, he is a pretty lighthearted guy. He is a perfect match for the all-too-serious woman, but at the same time, he benefits from the much needed calming effect she has on him. The two aren’t just good for each other, they are destined to be together, but Evie is too set in her ways and afraid of letting go.

Leever’s worldbuilding is pretty straightforward and simple: a group of hunters supervised by the archangel Gabriel lives in the same house and hunts demons. They are apparently immortal (or just long-lived, it’s never properly addressed) and th
ey use various incantations when they fight. Each of them is covered with magical tattoos that channel their magic in a way that is also not properly explained.

I loved that it wasn’t all about Daniel and Evie, though. All their friends, hunters and handlers both, were given due attention and I felt that I really got to know them exceptionally well for such a short book. They make this series much stronger and their presence promises strong future installments.

Divinity can be read in no more than a couple of hours and it will leave you with a smile on your face, which is the very definition of a good summer read.

Thank you all for your endless patience while I was handling my end-of-the-academic-year mess. Honey, I'm home!

25 comments:

  1. That cover is kick ass! I have never seen this book before but I am intrigued. Shame to world building wasn't explained more thoroughly.

    Fantastic review, Maja! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite scared of the cover but the summary sounds cool. Demon hunters? I like kick-ass heroines :D Thanks for another cool review, Maja.

    I can't to see your review on In The After.

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds a bit simple but fun nonetheless! I do love the tats, though it would be nice to know why/how they work for the hunters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fun read Maja! I'm particularly interested in Daniel, I like that he's not the dark, brooding one in this situation and is instead really lighthearted and brings a little levity to the story. I like the straightforward setup too - no overly complex world building or endless stream of unanswered questions. Sometimes it's nice to just really know what's going on:) Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its wonderful that the friends were also important to the book and its nice to see a simple world building despite some loopholes in it. Fantastic review Maja! Both of the main characters sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at that cover model's tattoos! I can't imagine how much pain she had to go through to get all those on her back.
    This sounds like a fun read, Maja. It's cool that that Evie and Daniel were not the focus of the book and the other characters also played a big role. I hadn't heard of this before, but I'll keep my eyes out for this one.
    Fabulous review, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am all for these quick summer reads at the moment, and this sounds perfect for that. I'm glad you enjoyed it overall! For only 200 pages, it's great that you got to know Daniel and Evie as well as you did. I'm in no hurry to read this, but I'll definitely give it a try if it lands my way. :) Lovely review, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually turn to my contemporary books over the Summer, but sometimes I do like to mix it up and I think Divinity sounds like the perfect book too add to my pile. Also I haven't read a decent demon book in forever! Thanks for putting this on my radar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your review really makes me want to read this one and I admit, I love that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds interesting and reminds me of another series I have read, I am glad the focus isn't just on the couple. Thanks for sharing this it was totally new to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for the review, Maja, I'm glad you enjoyed the story over all :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's nice to have a fast read like that. I hope the next one will be better but it sounds nice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, you know, Maja, I am currently in mood for light , short, and summer-ish contemporary reads. So this doesn't fit
    But i will definitely read it some other time
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, this one sounds really good, Maja! I've been smothering myself with heavier books now, and I've struggled recently with large, unimpressive novels, so this sounds like just what I need. Plus, with simple world-building, I could probably lose myself in this quite easily. Wonderful review :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you made it through the end of the year acad mess :) Sounds like a pretty interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed this one too, but I just couldn't see the tats on the cover as the one she sported. The cover is more fashion. I think if it had more symbols then I would have bought it. Yea, I know... nitpicking. :) I did have fun with this one as well. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do love those fun pnr/uf reads that can be devoured on the beach in a couple hours—this sounds like a great summer beach read! The demon hunting, tattoos and incantations sort of remind me of The Mortal Instruments, but it sounds like the characters and plot bring enough originality to the table. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember picking this up but not being sure if it was worth the read. It seems like one of those perfect summer escapism novels, but if I'm not in the mood I don't see myself going out of the way to pick this back up again. I still have so many UF books to read, but I'm glad you enjoyed this. We all need those books that make us smile, so I'll remember this for those times. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think I've ever read a paranormal book where the female is older and more experienced than the male, that should be an interesting dynamic! Sounds like some parts could use some detail though, especially the parts that leave you scratching your head. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention!

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great to hear it was a good summer read that left you smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hah I love how it sounds like the balance in their lives is great, her being super serious and him being much more light hearted. This doesn't sound like my kind of novel but I really like the cover. Those are some kick ass tattoos!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a good one to kick back and relax with. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The rules of the world seem a bit vague but I like the sound of this one. I feel like it's better suited for a time when I want a mindless read and so I'll see if I can find a copy and save it for then. Thanks, Maja.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds like a fun read! I like to have these types of books to read between the darker more intense reads.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.