Friday, July 5, 2013

Audio Review: Love in a Nutshell (Culhane Family, #1)


Love in a NutshellAuthor: Janet Evanovich, Dorien Kelly
Narrator: Lorelei King
Series: Culhane Family, #1
Release date: January 3rd 2012
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Lenght: 6 hrs and 37 mins
Buy: Audible

Kate Appleton needs a job. Her husband has left her, she’s been fired from her position as a magazine editor, and the only place she wants to go is to her parents’ summer house, The Nutshell, in Keene’s Harbor, Michigan. Kate’s plan is to turn The Nutshell into a Bed and Breakfast. Problem is, she needs cash, and the only job she can land is less than savory.
Matt Culhane wants Kate to spy on his brewery employees. Someone has been sabotaging his company, and Kate is just new enough in town that she can insert herself into Culhane’s business and snoop around for him. If Kate finds the culprit, Matt will pay her a $20,000 bonus. Needless to say, Kate is highly motivated. But several problems present themselves. Kate despises beer. No one seems to trust her. And she is falling hard for her boss.
Can these two smoke out a saboteur, save Kate’s family home, and keep a killer from closing in…all while resisting their undeniable attraction to one another? Filled with humor, heart, and loveable characters, Love in a Nutshell is delicious fun

These days, my brainpower has been as low as it can possibly get with me still alive to tell you about it. Considering the circumstances, I was in desperate need of something my bestie Lisa would classify as a “two-neuron book”, and Janet Evanovich seemed like a pretty sure bet.

An even safer bet, however, was Lorelei King’s excellent narration. I love her work with the Mercy Thompson series, I enjoy her narration of Stephanie Plum, and I downright adore her as the real-life voice of Charley Davidson. There is not a book in this world that Lorelei couldn’t make infinitely better. When Love in a Nutshell threatened to become dull and uneventful, Lorelei combined her excellent voice characterization and her charm to make it more interesting.

Love in a Nutshell is exactly what you’d expect: a light, entertaining, romantic book that begs to be read in a single sunny afternoon. There is no angst, no conflict to speak of and plenty of sexual tension to make one’s skin tingle.

Matt is the perfect hero – gorgeous, funny, kind and loyal to a fault. When Kate marches into his office demanding a job, he is determined to get to know her better. She is someone he can trust and maybe love, and once his course is set, he patiently works to achieve his goal. Still hurt from her awful first marriage, Kate is a bit more reluctant to start something with Matt, but his charm and good looks combined with his persistence prove impossible to resist.

There is a bit of a mystery thrown into the mix, but it’s pretty straightforward and, admittedly, somewhat uninteresting. Someone is trying to sabotage Matt’s micro brewery and he hires Kate to be his eyes and ears among the employees. While I didn’t even come close to guessing the identity of this person, I can’t say I was particularly interested either. My focus was on Kate, Matt and the development of their romance… in other words, right where it should have been.

Although welcome (to an extent), mystery and conflict weren’t my reason for reading this – I chose it because of Janet Evanovich’s trademark sense of humor, which is exactly what I got from it. It wasn’t without flaws, but I didn’t much care: I laughed, I smiled, and I relaxed.

15 comments:

  1. Dude, your like and audio listener machine! I fail, on the other hand as it takes me around 3-4 weeks to get through an audio book. -.- and I also fail at choosing audio books. Got and audio recs in the YA genre?

    As for the review, Matt sounds like a great MC that I'll appreciate, as well as Kate.

    Brilliant review, Maja! <33

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the mood for something like this and throw in a great narrator and I'm sold. I haven't heard of this one before, but it sounds very cute and I'll have to check it out for sure. Great review, Maja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who would want to sabatoge a microbrewery?!? That's terrible! Heh. Sounds cute. Janet's romances are usually pretty cheesy but fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Light entertaining and romantic is exactly what I need sometiems!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhh Maja! I had no idea she'd started a new series! I definitely don't pick up a Janet Evanovich book for the epic complexity of it, I pick it up to laugh, and I'm glad that's exactly what this one made you do. Sometimes I just want to be entertained:) Definitely need to put this one on the Kindle to take on vacation with me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Stephanie Plum series and I have been meaning to try one of her other books to see how I like it. I love the humor in them as well. I think I would like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fairly easy and enjoyable read! Glad it was exactly what you needed. I've never read anything by this author, but I do like a book with some good humor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I do think I need a 1/2 neuron book lately. :P I think I could get into this one. It sounds perfect for those just relax and enjoy book days. I'm so going to have to read a book by her one day. Yes, I admit it... I haven't yet... don't kill me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to try an audiobook one day! Maybe not this one, but it will be interesting to try a different kind of platform for reading. It's a shame this one had some flaws but I'm glad you still enjoyed it :) Relaxing books sound perfect for me right now.

    Fantastic review! Thanks for sharing!

    Zoe @ Bookhi
    www.bookhi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This does sound cute and I love that its low on everything but sexual tension. Not a fan of the cover, and I hope you are feeling more like yourself soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janet Evanovich was quite popular here with her other series, which I haven't read though. I'm not into these type of the books either but like you said I also need "two-neuron books" from time to time. I'm glad you enjoyed this one overall :)
    Great review Maja :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes you need fictional candy :) This book sounds great . I love nice and fun romances

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh this sounds great. Seeing as though I am feeling incredibly lazy at the moment, I can see myself really enjoying this one. I'm glad you had fun with it, Maja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've not read any of her books. They sound good and fun, but haven't got to them yet with all the others on my shelves. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never read a Janet Evanovich novel but novel and I know I can be especially sketchy about romance but this is definitely a narrator I want to listen to! I'm definitely going to grab one of the other books she's narrated. For something light and fun, have you listened to the Jane Jameson series by Molly Harper? Amanda Ronconi is an excellent narrator and adds something extra to those too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.