Monday, June 10, 2013

Review: Twice Tempted (Night Prince, #2)


Twice Tempted (Night Prince, #2)Author: Jeaniene Frost
Series: Night Prince, #2
Release date: March 26th 2013
Publisher: Avon
Mass Market Paperback, 371 pages
Buy: The Book Depository

Dating the Prince of Darkness has its challenges...
Leila's psychic abilities have been failing her, and now she isn't sure what the future holds. If that weren't enough, her lover, Vlad, has been acting distant. Though Leila is a mere mortal, she's also a modern woman who refuses to accept the cold shoulder treatment forever–especially from the darkly handsome vampire who still won't admit that he loves her.
Like choosing between eternal love and a loveless eternity...
Soon circumstances send Leila back to the carnival circuit, where tragedy strikes. And when she finds herself in the crosshairs of a killer who may be closer than she realizes, Leila must decide who to trust– the fiery vampire who arouses her passions like no other or the tortured knight who longs to be more than a friend? With danger stalking her every step of the way, all it takes is one wrong move to damn her for eternity.

Jeaniene Frost still dances gracefully on that fine line between paranormal romance and urban fantasy. Her books are a perfect combination of paranormal mystery and steaming romance, and while her Night Huntress series seems to be suffering from a serious decline in quality, the Night Prince trilogy is moving in the other direction.

When Frost decided to promote Vlad from a secondary character in her Night Huntress series to the love interest/main character in a trilogy of his very own, she had to rebuild him almost from scratch, and I strongly suspect he proved somewhat elusive, at least at first. In Once Burned, the Vlad she gave us had very little in common with the Vlad we’ve come to adore through Cat’s eyes, and his deliciously sardonic sense of humor existed as no more than a fond memory.

In Twice Tempted, I think she finally caught him. For the first time, I saw him clearly, as a fully fleshed-out character, his personality consistently built upon known historical facts, a hardened soul breathed into his gorgeous, (in)famous body. Once again I found myself being frustrated by his actions and adoring him at the same time, but more importantly, I finally understood him completely.

And guess what? The cruel, enigmatic vampire with pyrokinetic and telepathic powers has finally met his match. Just like she did with Vlad, Frost worked tirelessly to develop Leila’s character into someone strong enough to handle Vlad the Impaler. It’s not easy to love someone who has a torture chamber in his castle and impales people for sport, especially when that someone adamantly refuses to love you back.

What made me finally like Leila (after disliking her intensely in the first book) was her courage to take the all-or-nothing route and do what any woman with a modicum of self-respect would do – leave him. I didn’t think she had it in her, but she turned her back on his I’ll-sleep-with-you-but-never-love-you attitude and went back to her old life. Honestly, I wanted to cheer.

She has become so strong, a real threat to her enemies, but watching her fight personal battles, both with Vlad and with her father, seeing her stand up for herself and for what she thought was right, that was the true delight. It was probably hard for Frost to find that perfect balance between a kindhearted heroine and a heroine ready to do what’s necessary even when it seems cruel, but both these traits are essential for a woman worthy of Vlad Tepes.

Twice Tempted is more romantic, more exciting and more tightly plotted than its predecessor, but it leaves just enough room for improvement to get me excited about the third and final book in the Night Prince trilogy.


18 comments:

  1. I have always loved Vlad and was so excited when I found out he would have his own little mini series, I am so glad this one is holding its own! I admit I am sorely behind on this series and its spin off as a whole but I do have plans for all of them. This has always been a favorite of mine.
    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A woman who actually leaves? I need to pick up this series ASAP in that case...right after I read some of the Cat/Bones books. Great review, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that Vlad got a chance to shine and that you came around to Leila

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww i love Night Huntress, sad to hear its on a decline :( I did get book 1 of the Night Prince, have not had a chance to read it yet though.
    Always did like Vlad, I think he would annoy me and make me love him at the same time as well. Glad Leila changed as well nothing worse then disliking the main female lead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy that the character of Vlad really popped out to you in this one after being a big lackluster in the first. I haven't read anything by Frost but I know quite a few people who really love her novels. I hope you like the next one just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I"m definitely enjoying this series and agree about it getting stronger. I do love when a character really grows and develops over the course of a series, especially when they change from someone you don't really like to someone you're rooting for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad the series got better for you. I'm seriously finding it hard to find sequels that are better than it's predeseccor. It's happened a lot with the endings of trilogies mostly.

    Great review, Maja! Leila sounds fiercely awesome. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your review, you said everything I felt while reading this series. Especially about Vlad being a completely new character for me.

    The only thing different is that I dislike Leila more in this book than the first, I cheer her decision of leaving him but first it was "please love me, I'm needy" IMO. And some parts (that can be spoilers so I'm not saying exactly what) were too rushed for me, it could have wait for book #3. Nevertheless I love this series and Frost books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've yet to read any of Jeaniene Frost's books and they sound so good. Great review Maja. Glad to hear this was better than the first and you're expecting an even better finale :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have read all the NH books except the last one and I am totally on board with you in that they were declining. I haven't picked up this series yet, but I want to knowing that Frost finally captures Vlad. This series is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. More romantic and more exciting, you say?! This series sounds like it just keeps getting better and better, and that gives me a ton of hope. Wonderful review, Maja - it seems like you've really captured the essence of this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. YEAH MAJA!!!! I so loved this one too, and I just wanted to hug Leila when she told Vlad what he was offering simply wasn't good enough:) It made me snort when he was all "I didn't think you'd actually leave", and I just loved her all the more for her decision to walk away and stay gone. *high five to Leila* And Vlad, how I love him so, even when he's being a complete bastard. BRING ON BOOK 3!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG! I can't believe I'm so behind in this world. I love the NH series and the NHW ones that I've read. I'm so ashamed that I haven't read Vlad's first book yet! AH! I needs to catch up and this sounds perfect. I love that he was totally captured and swoon-worthy in this one. Plus, I love it when they meet their match.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I as usual haven't heard of this series nor this author. I avoided everything that seem to be UF but I guess that I need to catch up now. I'll read this series cause it sounds really great. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This has been on my pile for months now! I'm so glad to hear that the Vlad we originally loved is back in this one.
    I love that this series is in between UF and PNR cause I definitely prefer UF books but this series (all her series, I guess) work well for me. I love them! I can't wait to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad to hear this series is impressing you, because I'm just about done with JF's night huntress series. You're right, it's going majorly downhill. Hooray for a heroine leaving when faced with douchey relationship behavior! I was already going to check this out for Vlad (despite said douchey behavior I'm drawn in by him), but now I'm excited to read about Leila too. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh I am delighted to hear our beloved Vlad is back. Early reviews kept me from picking up book one since I adore him and was worried about being disillusioned. .will grab them now

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vlad sounds like a super intense character Maja, but I'm glad that he finally met his match in Leila, there's nothing more I enjoy more than finding a female character show great growth over a series. I normally wouldn't have thought this series would have been for me, but I find the romance hugely appealing. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.