Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Release Day Review: Another Little Piece


Another Little PieceAuthor: Kate Karyus Quinn
Release date: June 11th 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Hardcover, 422 pages
Source: Publisher for review
Buy: The Book Depository

The spine-tingling horror of Stephen King meets an eerie mystery worthy of Sara Shepard's Pretty Little Liars series in Kate Karyus Quinn's haunting debut.
On a cool autumn night, Annaliese Rose Gordon stumbled out of the woods and into a high school party. She was screaming. Drenched in blood. Then she vanished.
A year later, Annaliese is found wandering down a road hundreds of miles away. She doesn't know who she is. She doesn't know how she got there. She only knows one thing: She is not the real Annaliese Rose Gordon.
Now Annaliese is haunted by strange visions and broken memories. Memories of a reckless, desperate wish . . . a bloody razor . . . and the faces of other girls who disappeared. Piece by piece, Annaliese's fractured memories come together to reveal a violent, endless cycle that she will never escape—unless she can unlock the twisted secrets of her past.

Before all else, I feel I need to point out that Another Little Piece is a weird and terrifying read, and surely not for everyone. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever read before, but if I had to find a better known author to compare it to, I’d say it’s closest to Brenna Yovanoff’s works. The writing is not as gorgeous, but it is perhaps even more disturbing than any of Brenna’s books.

Anneliese has been missing for a whole year, and now that she’s back, she remembers nothing of her previous life, or her time away. She just knows she doesn’t belong – her life doesn’t seem like her own, her parents are complete strangers, and her skin doesn’t quite fit. She’s uncomfortable around people whose presence should be comforting, and she dislikes things the old Anneliese liked very much.

All the relationships in this book were done extraordinarily well, be it Anna’s relationship with Logan, the boy she was in love with prior to her disappearance; her relationship with her best friend Gwen or her growing friendship and romance with her neighbor Dex. More than anything else, however, the intricacy of her relationship with the mom and the dad, as she calls them, was simply astounding.

Oh, but the romance was special, too! A bit instalove-y, a bit strange, a bit awkward and even a bit disturbing – it matched the overall tone of the book perfectly. An ordinary boy could never have stood next to Anna, but the boy she ended up choosing had more than enough baggage of his own, and I loved seeing the two of them together. So what if it wasn’t the most realistic of romances? I don’t think Quinn was aiming for realistic, and I don’t think it’s what this book needed. In this context, awkward and instalove-y was nothing short of perfect.

I thought the poetry between chapters, written by Anneliese before her disappearance, was a really nice touch. At first I was a bit ambivalent because I liked the idea, but disliked the poems themselves, but I later realized that teen girl poetry was supposed to be bad and that it had probably been done on purpose, and that realization allowed me to appreciate it more. The poems offer brief glimpses into the mind of the old Anneliese, before she was irrevocably changed.

Another Little Piece brings one surprise right after another. It seems that Kate Karyus Quinn belongs to that very small group of authors who refuse to pull any punches. In fact, after reading this debut, I dare say she’s already a force to be reckoned with.


29 comments:

  1. Maja, you keep writing such beautiful reviews for books I've seen so many negative reviews of and, of course, you just keep changing my mind. I don't know if the writing style of this is for me, so I guess I'll sample it before fully reading it, but it sounds very interesting and the romance has me curious as well. Lovely review, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well let's just put a big sticker on my head: BLACK SHEEP. >.> hah. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, the romance was rather sweet but I wasn't really shipping them as much as I would have liked.

    Amazing review, chick! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it surprised you but not sure about the weirdness and if it is for me, but great review

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't the biggest fan of this one, though I do appreciate the bad teen poetry. I was never a poet but I had a friend who went through a dark, bad poetry phase. And, boy, was it bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! So happy to see that you liked this one so much. I completely agree that it is a lot like Yovanoff, but I also definitely think a comparison to Nova Ren Suma is fitting as well. There was so much WTF-ery going on that I could not put this book down. Can't wait to see what Quinn puts out next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, I definitely need to pick up a copy now! Thank you for such an awesome review!

    Toni @ My Book Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have me extremely intrigued Maja! Sometimes weird and disturbing works really well for me and sometimes it doesn't, I think I have to be in the right mood for it, but this one sounds too good to miss. I love that the sort of insta-love actually works within the context of this particular story too, that has me really excited to pick this one up and see for myself! Gorgeous review as always:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad you loved this one too! I think this is one of those that some people jut don't "get" and that makes me sad because I absolutely loved it!
    Beautiful review!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am really going to have to read this, the reviews have been impressing and I like disturbing! Great review, sold!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not what I'd usually go for but you have me intrigued with this one. And I'm curious as to perfect instalove-y lol. I'm going to put this on my 'to read' list. Great review Maja :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh. SO intrigued by the plot Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read several good reviews for this one and I am all about disturbing and weird. Maybe I should do this for Something Wicked... what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh now I'm very curious. You especially had me at dark and odd. :) It also looks like it is the kind of romance I can deal with even though it is insta-love. Sometimes I can deal with it in a book... it just depends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. sounds very creepy. Have not read a book like this in a while. I think I'd have to be in a mood, but I know a lot of people that enjoyed it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. interesting review maja. i am adding this to my list.

    Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh I absolutely love Brenna Yovanoff's writing and the mood and tone she is able to create in her books, so I'm sure I'm going to love this. I can handle disturbing creepiness (I hope, anyway :D). I think I'd be wary of the poetry at first too, but this is so true (and it made me laugh) "teen girl poetry was supposed to be bad and that it had probably been done on purpose." I very rarely hear someone say they actually enjoyed an insta-love relationship, but this sounds like such a unique book, I can totally see it working within the context of the story. Can't wait to read this after your lovely review, thanks for sharing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooh, I've wondered about this one. I'm so glad to see a four-star review for it because it honestly sounds like something I might really enjoy, and that's a strong recommendation! Wonderful review, Maja :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've been hearing a lot of good things about this one! And comparing it to Brenna, that's a big deal, I LOVE her! I think this is already on my WL, but I'm gonna double check, I gotta read it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The reviews for this book are just a mixed bag, really, but after reading yours, I think I'm going to have to give this one a try. All the relationships seem fantastic, and it's so interesting that insta-love actually WORKS with this book. That has me super intrigued, to be honest. And an author to be reckoned with? Definitely calling my name, then!

    Fantastic review, Maja! I'm totally going to have to check this one out now. <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was really surprised by this book and loved the weirdness of it. I didn't find it terrifying though. Maybe a bit creepy at times. So glad you liked this one. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You sold me. Terrifying? Like Brenna Yovanoff's work? Unlike anything else you've ever read? I have to read this now! I like the idea of poetry between chapters too. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, interesting! Terrifying, poetry and a strange but working romance? Hell yeah!

     Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whenever someone says "It’s unlike anything I’ve ever read before," I take notice. I like that this book is well written and surprising and a little odd. I'm a bit worried about the horror aspect, though I tend to handle that better in a book than on film. I love odd romances, especially between people that are both a little off. Have you read WILD AWAKE? From your description of this one, they sound similar-ish, though the books and characters are nothing alike from what I can tell. I have read consistently good reviews of this one, and it is definitely on my radar now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Is it sick that the more you talk about how disturbing this book is, the more I want to read it? It so sounds like something I'd love. I was a bit hesitant at your initial mention of the romance, but if it works in the context of the story like you say, I don't think I'll mind the insta-love. Also the bad poetry thing makes me laugh. I love when an author does those sorts of things, writing bad poetry on purpose. =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. All I need to know is that this one is unlike any book you've read, and I'm sold. I'm all about creativity. I'm quite curious about this romance, if I would feel the same way as you or if it would just be weird. Actually, I wonder the same thing about this book overall. Is it strange that I am most intrigued by this one because of how disturbing you thought it was? Haha. Okay, definitely need to check this one out - very enlightening review, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This story sounds amazing! I'm completely curious about her disappearance and I'd be suspicious while reading this of anyone in her life. I need to get my hands on a copy! Wonderful review, Maja. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am not entirely sure this book is my thing but i adore the cover and your review has me hankering after this, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your review of this one sounds so mysterious, and I like the sound of the romance. Good job on making Another Little Piece catch my interest!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.