Friday, June 7, 2013

Review: Inferno (Chronicles of Nick, #4)


Inferno (Chronicles of Nick #4)Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Series: Chronicles of Nick, #4
Release date: April 9th 2013
Publisher: Atom
Paperback, 441 pages
Source: Publisher for review
Buy: The Book Depository

The world has fallen in love with Nick Gautier and the Dark-Hunters. Now Nick's saga continues in the next eagerly anticipated volume ...Turning sixteen isn't what Nick Gautier thought it would be. While other boys his age are worried about prom dates and applying for college, Nick is neck deep in enemies out to stop him from living another day. No longer sure if he can trust anyone, his only ally seems to be the one person he's been told will ultimately kill him. Those out to get him have summoned an ancient force so powerful even the gods fear it. As Nick learns to command and control the elements, the one he must master in order to combat his latest foe is the one most likely to destroy him. If he is to survive this latest round, he will ultimately have to sacrifice a part of himself.
Chronicles of Nick is a YA spin-off of Sherrilyn Kenyon’s adult paranormal romance series, which – I have to be honest here – I haven’t read. My initial enthusiasm for these books was mostly due to Holter Graham, the best audio narrator in the history of audio narrators, but even after choosing to read the last two books, my love wasn’t diminished in the least. I guess Nick and I love each other unconditionally now. *wipes tears of joy*

Nick’s voice is fabulously done. He was 14 at the beginning of the series and I assume his gender and age presented a challenge for Sherrilyn Kenyon, but I could never tell. He is a teenage boy with teen boy priorities, just recently rescued from bitter poverty and not quite accustomed to being a blip on the social radar. He is hesitant to speak his opinions, completely insecure around girls, embarrassed by the obnoxious Hawaiian shirts his mother makes him wear, stubborn, hardworking, but easily influenced. Some of these traits can be quite frustrating at times, especially when he gets dragged into relationships that aren’t healthy for him or when he allows a girl to change him into something he’s not, both inside and out. But overall, Nick is a sweetheart I can’t help but adore, even when I wish to strangle him at the same time.

In Inferno, Nick finally learns Nikoda’s true purpose and the two of them break up. Enter Casey, a cheerleader who, a mere month ago, would sooner have spit on Nick than date him. But she’s gorgeous and he’s a hormonal teenage boy, so when she starts influencing him and changing him on every turn, he surrenders without any real struggle. Nick doesn’t trust easily, and it seems that everyone around him has an ulterior motive, but Kody’s betrayal (or what he perceives as betrayal) makes him seek comfort elsewhere.

Truth be told, I was quite angry at Nick throughout this book, but fortunately, all the amazing secondary characters made things somewhat easier. Nick’s mother is still my favorite character by far, her courage and her desire to protect her son unparalleled in YA lit. I have yet to meet Kyrian and Acheron as heroes in the Dark Hunter series, but from what I’ve seen here, I know I’ll adore them both. Ash is eleven thousand years old and he’s been through hell far too many times, but his heart is good and he is still generous.

Despite its few flaws, I was thoroughly enjoying Nick’s story right up until the very last chapter. The ending was so confusing and nonsensical that I still don’t quite know what to think. Things will probably sort themselves out in Illusion, but honestly, that’s no way to end a book. How very cruel of Ms. Kenyon to leave us utterly confused.

Nevertheless, I recommend this series even to those unfamiliar with Kenyon’s work. There’s a lot to love here – if nothing else, the occasional moments of hilarity will make it worth your while.


16 comments:

  1. Well believe it or not I've read on of the books from Dark-Hunter series. I found it at the library and picked it up. I had no idea it was adult. It was a while ago but yeah the book wasn't that bad. I liked mythology details. Anyhow this one sounds like something I might like more. Great review Maja :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't gotten into this series yet, but Nick's voice sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have become such a fan of this spinoff even though you haven't read the initial series. I really wish that I could listen to audiobooks but my mind just wonders and then I have absolutely no idea what I had listened to and have to go back. Ugh. Such a hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ASH MAJA!!!! *falls down dead and starts sobbing* I actually read his book first, before I read any of her Dark Hunter series and it just ripped me to pieces. It's one I recommend to anyone who mocks the romance genre as a whole for being "fluff", because that book nearly destroyed me. I love him so much! I've since read a lot of the Dark Hunter books and have met Nick, but I'm excited to give these books a try and see him in a different light. So glad you're enjoying them (aside from the ending on this one that is - fail)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had this first one but just never got around to reading it. Why?!? Who knows. Just one of those things. But I did put it on my shelf at school and it was immediately snapped up. Might just have to see if our library has this series so I can see what all the hubbub is about!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of her work either but I have wanted to try this one. I just love books told in the male point of view. I think I would really like Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a bummer that the ending had to go an ruin a great read..Now I think that Luke Daniels is one of the best audio narrators out there so now I must give this series a go on audio to see what you are talking about. I want to meet Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only read the first book and that is when it first came out. So, I know I'll have to re-read it before going on with the rest of the series. Looks like I do need to continue it and I haven't read much Kenyon, but what I have, I've enjoyed.

    I so need to be reacquainted with Nick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This series is new to me, and I love that the secondary characters are so strong and enjoyable. Nick sounds interesting. Great review Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen this series around a lot, but have been quite hesitant to pick it up. Nothing about it has appealed to me before, but I'm definitely re-thinking now. Great review, Maja!(:

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read the first book, but I need to refresh my memory and get back into this series. It sounds like I should do it on audio since there is a rock star narrator in the mix. I have a shortlist of favorites and somehow Holter Graham isn't yet on it, so I'm excited to give him a try. Glad you're enjoying the series so much, in spite of the disappointing ending (why do these authors delight in tormenting us so?!). Lovely review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got the first book in this series years ago but still haven't read it. I LOVE male POV and I'm really excited to start it (one day). I'm happy to hear it's a series you enjoy because I really haven't heard much about it in a long time now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I've come across the adult series but never got interested in it. But considering that you haven't read the adult one, I'll keep an eye out! I like the sound of this MC!

    Amazing review, Maja! <33

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hawaiian shirts.. heh made me giggle..

    Hum, easily pushed around he is it seems :( that would make me angry with him as well. I am glad you enjoyed most of it anyway, even thought the ending left some confusion behind. It looks like a very different series.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The story must be pretty good for you to enjoy it in spite of Nick being annoying for most of the book. I haven't heard of this series before, but apparently you're enjoying it with this being the 4th book in the series and you continuing on. Wonderful review, Maja. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I know to meet Nick! More importantly, I need to meet his mother! It seems like most of the the YA novels I read either lack a strong parental presence or have parents that aren't the best role models.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.