Sunday, February 12, 2012

In My Mailbox #5


Hello honorary librarians, welcome to our 5th weekly “In My Mailbox”, a feature hosted by the lovely Kristi @ The Story Siren.





We got a lot of snow in this part of Europe this week but the mailman managed to get to us anyway and deliver some books to curl up with while flakes are swirling outside.... ok, ok being dramatic here since it didn’t snow at all where Maja lives but it did in other areas of her country and abundantly in mine!


So let’s see what The Nocturnal Library got in its mailbox!



Maja’s IMM:


Would you just look at that cover? I mean the White Cat one. I realize many people weren’t happy with the change, but I liked it so much that I just had to order a copy. (I know, I’m shallow. Please don’t judge me.) It’s just so yellow and shiny and mesmerizing... I admit it, my self-control sucks. I love this series so much and it saddens me immensely that it’s coming to an end. For my review of White Cat, go HERE.

I preordered the US edition of Graffiti Moon months ago, as soon as I found out that they included a few more poems. Although I like the Aussie cover better, there’s no way I’d ever be able to resist the charming Poet. Graffiti Moon is one of my all-time fave contemporary YAs. I’m so happy the lovely people at The Book Depository shipped a little early. I can’t wait to reread it. If you want to read my review, go HERE.

And last, but certainly not least, At the Gates, third book in the Demon Squad series by Tim Marquitz. I devoured the first two books in less than two days and absolutely loved them, so much so that I was unable to focus on any of the books that were laying around me. I bought book 3 from Amazon last night (even though they insist on making us Euros pay more for everything) and I’m already halfway through. You can find my review of the first book, Armageddon Bound, right below this post. Also, having just recently read The Queen Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner, I decided that I need to have all the books in hardcover, starting with my favorite, The King of Attolia.






As for me, you can see how my contemporary young adult stint is still holding strong. No fantasy at all for me this week.
Okay for now is a book that has come up time and time again during my GoodReads explorations and after seeing all those glowing reviews and 5 stars from most of my friends I decided it was time to look more into it. Honestly, I have high expectations and I hope they’ll be met.
The second book, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, I borrowed it from my boss at work. More high expectations and a lot of hype - look at all those awards - but once again, my trusted sources all seem to have loved it so I’m hoping it will be a safe shot.
But one week cannot pass for your Italian librarian without a taste of vanilla; Beatle meets Destiny’s are a bit more mixed but I hope it will take the steam off the other books, the subjects of which seem a bit less breezy than this one.





That’s all for this week dear nocturnal readers, if you’re still reading this I guess you’re an habitué by now so I guess it’s safe to say: ‘till we meet again!

Lisa & Maja

13 comments:

  1. great books girls :) Enjoy them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graffiti Moon!! I want to read that one sooo bad! I've heard so many good things about it :) Awesome haul!! Hope you enjoy them :)

    Mackenzie @ Oh, For the Love of Books!
    WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great haul ladies! I have Graffiti Moon I plan to read in the next few days actually! Heard great things about it! And I like the new White Cat cover I should get a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice haul!
    I have to admit I prefer this cover of "White Cat". It's just... shiny pretty fabulous, whereas the other one... Well, let's say I'm not a fan.

    Here's my IMM! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the White Cat cover. I haven't started this series yet, but I will most definitely be looking for these covers when I do!

    Kelly
    In My Mailbox | Radiant Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great IMM, you two! Graffiti Moon is fantastic and for once I think they did a good job with the overseas cover! And Beatle Meets Destiny is a really fun read too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! Haven't heard of these! Hope you enjoy them!

    Here'y my IMM

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are more poems in the US edition of Graffiti Moon? I didn't know that! I'll have to check that out when I get the chance. Although I still prefer the cover of the Aussie edition. Yay for hardcovers of MWT's books! I want hardcovers for all of them but I want the Vince Natale covers.

    I've been curious about Beatle Meets Destiny for a while now so looking forward to hearing what you think of that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maja - you're hysterical! I love bright, shiny things, too!!! One of these days I will read that series!! And I agree with you, if I love a book, I will have the hardcover if I can (signed, all the better!) Demon Squad, huh? Have to check that series out....

    Lisa - contemp??? Winter time is when I need to run away from real life - waaaay far away!!! I have Alexie on my TBR, more so b/c it's a classic. I have heard great things about it, too. Hope it doesn't disappoint!!!

    My IMM
    Have a great week! Kristin @myparahangover

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually LIKE the new Holly Black covers. That White Cat cover is lovely, I can see why you would want it on your shelf, Maja. :)

    Lisa, I can never read contemporary books back to back. :P But yay you! I haven't heard of Okay For Now before, but I'll have to check that one out, especially after you mentioned it's been getting glowing 5-star reviews.

    Awesome haul for both of you this week! Enjoy your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that Holly Black cover is spectacular. That is a series I need to check into. I see more Demon Squad you are hooked, Maja
    Lisa I am curious about Okay for Now and the Part Time Indian book. I will,be watching for your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! Some of those covers are just absolutely stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lisa and Maja

    You are tagged!
    Come over to my blog and see what you must do :D

    Mariska

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.