Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Graffiti Moon



My rating: 5 of 5 stars

4.5 stars.


Last week, as I was strolling with my two little ones around town for our morning promenade, I happened to pass in front of our neighborhood's church. In its front yard there was quite a congregation of young kids, their instruments and a lot of out of tune music, as they were preparing to rehearse for some parochial event. Of course my daughter, who's 4 and knows the whole Aladdin soundtrack by heart, begged me to stop and listen to whatever they were going to play.

When I said "young kids" I forgot to mention these kids where more on the 12 to 14 y.o. range than on the 16 to 18, so imagine my amazement (and my daughter's dismay) when the notes they started to strum on their instruments didn't belong to either Walt Disney, Justin Bieber or Tokio Hotel but to "Smoke on the Water"... these kids were practically born the day before yesterday, they could easily be MY kids and they were playing Deep Purple, for god's sake.

So I got to thinking I generally tend to underestimate teenagers and think their brains work only on Wii waves, text-messaging and angst. But there are also some very talented and artistic kids out there whose sole interest in life is not limited to a remote control.

The Graffiti Moon crew, despite being a bit older, is composed by such kids. Slightly eccentric, artistic, urban teens whom author Cath Crowley still manages to depict in a very believable way, complete with teen dorkiness and false romantic ideals.

There's Lucy, the glassblower, who when asked by her best friend Jazz to compile a list of guys she would "do it with", writes down only fictional characters. Enamored with a mysterious graffiter's work called Shadow, she is determined to find him, convinced they can't be but twin souls.

Ed. Part Adam Wilde from If I Stay, part Tom MacKee from The Piper's Son, Ed is a high school dropout, a graffiter and thinks he's a total loser. After having lost his job at a paint shop, he embarks in an illicit adventure with his friend Leo which involves a pink getaway van, some bad men and some "travel plans" with Lucy.

Daisy and Dylan, trait d'union between Lucy, Jazz, Ed and Leo, are going through a relationship crisis and are, apparently, the only ones who can lead Lucy and Jazz to Shadow and his friend Poet.

I loved this book. The story, told in alternating POVs by Lucy and Ed with some of Poet's poems thrown in for effect, is brilliant. It recounts the happenings of one night (a bit à la Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist) and it is just great. I loved how the two POVs overlaps so the reader can be inside both heads for the same scene, I loved how, throughout the book, roles get reversed and misunderstood, like in a comedy of errors. I loved the dialogues, the characters' sense of humor, the banter: this book is just downright hilarious.

Dylan's words:

"If my like for you was footy crowd, you'd be deaf cos of the roar. And if my like for you were a boxer, there'd be dead guy lying on the floor. And if my like for you were sugar, you'd lose your teeth before you were twenty. And if my like for you was money, let's just say you'd be spending plenty."

And finally, I loved the author's writing style. Another talented author which manages to give us a realistic, cute, hilarious teenage story, coupled with believable and well developed characters with great personalities, all encased in pretty words, a bit flowery but not too purply.

I'm hacking half a star off just because I thought the ending was a bit too Gone with the Wind style. But this is, definitely, definitely, a book that needs your attention.

Another great Australian author, another great YA story.



15 comments:

  1. I am so happy to see my google reader filled up with Graffiti Moon posts! Great post, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stick around for tomorrow's post... BIG BIG surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like it's a Graffiti Moon day. Catie reviewed it today too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm glad you posted this one for release day. I loved it when I read it on Goodreads and recognized the love in the first sentence. That's how you know you've written a great review, Lisa, when a reader remembers it from the onset.

    So excited to collect both versions of this book:)

    xo
    Flann

    ReplyDelete
  5. ... or you were just impressed by my use of the word promenade - I feel like a pompous ass :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great review for this book. I think I just need to give in and buy a copy. :P

    I'm excited for this surprise tomorrow! I'll be here. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review Lisa! This book deserves a lot of love today. I can't wait to see your surprise tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the second incredible review I've read for this book today. I don't know why but I passed it over originally.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your review just moved this book up a bit on my TBR list. Thank you! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book has been all over the blogosphere this week and everyone seems to love it! I am glad you liked it Lisa but now I am a little worried over the GWTW type ending. I guess we can compare notes next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent review, Lisa! Graffiti Moon was one of my favorite reads last year. It reminded me of Nick and Norah as well. Also, you've made me want to read If I Stay because of the comparison that you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww, such a beautiful review for such a beautiful book!! <3 I'm reading this one right now and I'm LOVING it so far -- I can't believe how many amazing reviews have been going around the blogosphere lately, and yours definitely joins them high up! If I didn't already have this book in my hands, I don't know what I would've done! Plus, the Adam Wilde comparison? Just PERFECT. x)

    Amazing review, Lisa! LOL and I love how you acknowledged that there are some really intelligent and artistic teenagers out there -- because I definitely agree! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the Deep Purple reference. Hey, the classics will always be the classics! :)

    Other than that, though, it was a great review. I had seen the book around, it mostly failed to catch my attention, but now I'm definitely giving it a second thought. I'm still not much of a contemporary fan, but I?m definitely considering this. Thanks for sharing!

    Ron @ Stories of my life

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review, Lisa. I'm definitely looking forward to reading this!

    *typing this with Deep Purple in my head*

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am looking for something to read when I come across this review, Lisa. I'll definitely need to pick this up. It sounds like my kind of book. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.