Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Review: Find Me


Find MeAuthor: Romily Bernard
Series: No info
Release date: September 24th 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Hardcover, 307 pages
Source: Publisher for review
Buy: The Book Depository

“Find Me.”
These are the words written on Tessa Waye’s diary. The diary that ends up with Wick Tate. But Tessa’s just been found . . . dead.
Wick has the right computer-hacking skills for the job, but little interest in this perverse game of hide-and-seek. Until her sister Lily is the next target.
Then Griff, trailer-park boy next door and fellow hacker, shows up, intent on helping Wick. Is a happy ending possible with the threat of Wick’s deadbeat dad returning, the detective hunting him sniffing around Wick instead, and a killer taunting her at every step?
Foster child. Daughter of a felon. Loner hacker girl. Wick has a bad attitude and sarcasm to spare.
But she’s going to find this killer no matter what.

Because it just got personal.

Throughout the summer, I’ve been repeating that romance is pretty much the only thing that can hold my attention, but now I’m pretty sure I’ve been foolish not to include more psychological thrillers to my reading list. Find Me is almost ridiculously engaging, compulsively readable and well-written. While some predictability was certainly an issue, the details remained a mystery up until the very end, and the short chapters combined with an excellent pacing gave me no time to breathe at all.

The first thing you’ll probably notice about Find Me is how clear and resonant Wick’s voice is. Her personality jumps right off the page and in your face, and while she’s anything but a goody two-shoes, she is instantly likeable. The tough-as-nails teen hacker has a more vulnerable side, of course, but she’s not about to show it to anyone, not even her baby sister.

The romance didn’t take too much of the plot at all, but it was very sweet and completely believable. I enjoyed Wick and Griff’s interactions and how well they fit together. With everything else in her life in shambles, Wick needed someone like Griff to keep her balanced and support her through everything, but he was, fortunately, more than just a crutch for her to lean on.

I’ve mentioned before that predictability is an issue, and it is. The villain is so easy to recognize, it’s almost ridiculous. But the entire mystery is so utterly nauseating and awful that knowing the culprit makes it almost worse.

To be perfectly honest (and when am I not?), I doubt I’ll remember much of this book a few months from now, but not even that bothers me. Some books you read to carry with you always, and some you read to entertain you now, and the entertainment value of Find Me is very, very high.

The very last paragraph opens the story enough for a sequel to be entirely possible. I haven’t been able to find any information just yet, but I do hope there will be one eventually. I think these characters have a lot more to give.

29 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great honest review, Maja!

    I'll probably give this one a chance, even if you can guess who the bad guy is easily,

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that the culprit is really easy to figure out early on in the novel, which is a shame but yay for a believable and strong romance!

    Fab review, Maja! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maja! Long time, no see! :)

    Thanks for the review. Thrillers are fun to read sometimes, too, but I honestly can't enjoy them too much because, as you pointed out, I see who the culprit is every single time. Usually in the first fiew chapters. As a rule of thumb, this bothers me something insane... But I still check the reviews when new stories in the genre come out, hoping to find one where: a)no one saw it coming, or b)the rest of the story is so good no one cared. I'm not sure if this one fits the b bill... but I'll keep an eye out.

    Great review, as always! (some things never change, never mind how long I've been MIA...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean about those temporary entertainment value novels, so though I'm rarely in the mood for those, I'll be sure to look out for this the next time I am. Most readers have disliked this, though, so I'm not entirely sure if it's for me, but even I could use a thriller every now-and-then. Great review, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like a book that is unpredictable but the book sounds promising. But this is not my cup of tea. Thanks for another great review, Maja.

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too bad about the villain. I like them a little more hidden or, if they're obvious, be obvious about it. Still, I love that Wick has a clear, strong voice and that there's high entertainment value!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't' agree with you more! I need more mysteries in my life, especially when you read one after a long time and find out that holds your interest.
    I think we felt very similar about this one, it wasn't perfect but it was still a good read.
    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooo this sounds awesome Maja! I honestly hadn't given this book any consideration and that was clearly a huge mistake. Adding it to my TBR list now! Like you, I don't care that the villain is easily recognizable as long as the romance is well done and there's strong characterization. Those two things make up for a myriad of flaws in my eyes! Excited to try this one, gorgeous review as always:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely know what you mean about temporary entertainment, Maja. That's how I feel about the Heist Society series. Not award winning or ground breaking but simply fun. I like the sound of this one but the ridiculously obvious villain kinda deflated my excitement. I hate when I figure out the mystery before the MC does. It just leaves me bored.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree some books are for the here and now and you forget them after. I love psychological thrillers and while this wasn't perfect I am glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely agree with this review! This book was quite addicting and it kept the tension high until the end, even though I figured out the "bad guy" much earlier than Wick did. I also loved Griff and the romance. However, I'm nervous in general about the psychopath preying on young girls plotline, so that wasn't my favorite part. I'd also agree that this is one that's great immediately but not memorable in the longterm. However, if we remembered all the books we read in one year, our minds would EXPLODE. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been pretty excited for Find Me. I love the premise of the book, the suspense sounds amazing and I like the way the characters Griff and Tate sound. Glad you enjoyed the book and thought it was entertaining! Thanks for the great review Maja. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started this one but didn't finish because the beginning didn't grab me, but glad that you enjoyed even if probably not memorable

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do enjoy psychological thrillers. So just for that, I need to add this one to my list. As far as predictability? As long as I'm not expecting something outstanding and just want to be entertained, I'm good. I'm with you... sometimes entertain me now is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been enjoying mysteries and thrillers a lot lately. I've heard a lot of mixed things about this one, so your review makes perfect sense. I agree that sometimes books are just highly enjoyable even if you know they are far from perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My review runs soon and I said the same thing -- it was like the guilty person had a neon sign on that said "I Did It." But there were other aspects of the story that I really liked.
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmm, I don't do thrillers. But it does sound good and that the voice is clear is wonderful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Incredible review Maja! I love how you stated your reasons for liking this book. The discovery you made of some books are just for entertainment and don't need to linger is profound. I am fine with knowing who the villain is now, even though I prefer not to, as long as the suspense is represented well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice to hear that even though the mystery was predictable the story was still entertaining. It's annoying when a book is so predictable that it's a drudgery to get through. My attention always perks up when the romance is on the positive side, so I'm excited to pick this up after your review. Wonderful review, Maja. You always tell me everything I want to know before deciding to read something! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Btw, I noticed you're reading Into the Still Blue. I'm all green with envy!! Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I go back-and-forth with wanting to read this. Wick sounds like the type of character I like, but the rest ... meh. I am a tiny big curious about the mystery now, though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I usually stay away from predictable books, I mean it can really bother me, but it seems to me that this book is enjoyable even though it's predictable. Great review Maja :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad to see you enjoyed this overall, Maja! I liked it just a little less - the predictability was far more of an issue for me - but I did think that there were moments of promise. If there is a sequel in the works, I look forward to seeing what you think of it. Lovely review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great review! It sounds like an exciting read to just dive into and enjoy. I'm fascinated by the plot, even if the culprit is easy to figure out. Love thrillers/mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so sad to find out that this is an easy one to crack. I'm on a tour for it at the end of the month and really hope that I can still like the story, and hey maybe I won't figure it out! *crosses fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think that's a very valid point you make about entertainment value. To be honest, the majority of the books that bloggers read probably won't end up resonating with them. And it's even more likely that the majority of the books that we read that are getting published now will hold the attention of society as a whole for a little while, but won't have a lasting affect or be seen as "classics" years and years from now. Like you said, though, there's nothing wrong with a solidly entertaining read. I don't read many psychological thrillers, but this one sounds like a lot of fun, so perhaps I'll find some time to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm excited to read this book. I'm not one for complicated mysteries, myself so I'll definitely enjoy this. Great review, Maja.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This book sound skins of fun despite the predicability issue. Sometimes a well written character can overcome those things.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aw, it's a shame that the mystery wasn't so great. But it's good to know that you found this one entertaining enough. With school kicking my butt, I've been reading a lot more for fun and need books that will keep my attention. I will add this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.