Friday, May 10, 2013

Review: Zenn Scarlett (Zenn Scarlett, #1)


Zenn ScarlettAuthor: Christian Schoon
Series: Zenn Scarlett, #1
Release date: May 7th 2013
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Paperback, 304 pages
Source: Publisher for review
Buy: The Book Depository

Zenn Scarlett is a resourceful, determined 17-year-old girl working hard to make it through her novice year of exovet training. That means she's learning to care for alien creatures that are mostly large, generally dangerous and profoundly fascinating. Zenn’s all-important end-of-term tests at the Ciscan Cloister Exovet Clinic on Mars are coming up, and, she's feeling confident of acing the exams. But when a series of inexplicable animal escapes and other disturbing events hit the school, Zenn finds herself being blamed for the problems. As if this isn't enough to deal with, her absent father has abruptly stopped communicating with her; Liam Tucker, a local towner boy, is acting unusually, annoyingly friendly; and, strangest of all: Zenn is worried she's started sharing the thoughts of the creatures around her. Which is impossible, of course. Nonetheless, she can't deny what she's feeling.
Now, with the help of Liam and Hamish, an eight-foot sentient insectoid also training at the clinic, Zenn must learn what's happened to her father, solve the mystery of who, if anyone, is sabotaging the cloister, and determine if she's actually sensing the consciousness of her alien patients... or just losing her mind. All without failing her novice year....

The first thing you’re likely to notice about Zenn Scarlett is that it’s unlike anything that is currently being published. The second thing you’ll notice about Zenn Scarlett is that its breathtaking originality is a very good thing indeed. There have been quite a few surprises from the Angry Robot/Strange Chemistry camp in the last year, and it seems that they'll just keep on coming.

In worldbuilding, Schoon reminded me of a kid with Play-Doh and an overactive imagination. It’s easy to feel the joy with which he created each of his creatures, from Zenn’s tiny rikkaset Katie to the Kirian sunkiller. Although impressive, the worldbuilding is also a bit overwhelming at times. The Martian setting is completely foreign, there’s nothing familiar to hold on to and it’s quite disorienting at first. Even now I don’t have a clear picture of the Universe as Zenn knows it, but hopefully this will change in the next installment.

”The native life forms on Mars all died out long before humans came. We’re all aliens here. That’s why it drives me crazy when Graad and the others complain about the cloister’s patients. Calling them monsters. Calling them alien ‘things’ and saying they don’t belong. They belong here as much as we do.”*

Third person limited narration is never my favorite, and I think I would have enjoyed Zenn’s story more if it were told in first person. As it was, I can’t say that I experienced a strong emotional connection, although I did admire Zenn's determination and courage. She also seemed a bit young for her sixteen years, which I suppose can be explained by her isolation in the cloister. It’s no wonder she was immediately (and a bit naively) attracted to Liam, a townie boy who started showing up at the cloister to help with the animals. She and Liam developed a tentative friendship and an odd sort of relationship, with just a hint of romance between them.

The plot takes a while to pick up. Combined with the rather complicated worldbuilding, it might be a bit challenging for a less patient reader. The mystery seemed pretty straightforward the entire time, but in the end, it wasn’t anything I thought it would be. I love it when I’m absolutely convinced I have everything figured out, only to be proven utterly wrong in the last few chapters.

Schoon daringly weaved a tale that is richly imaginative and breathtakingly original. Zenn Scarlett is perfect for younger YA and middle grade readers, but older audience will find much to love about our red-haired heroine and her cloister on the Red Planet.

*Quote taken from an uncorrected proof and might be changed in the final version.

30 comments:

  1. For me there is not such thing as too much imagination. I haven't read any book by this author and now I see that I've been missing a lot. This sounds like an interesting read. I'm really glad you enjoyed this story. Great review Maja :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Maja, Angry Robot/Strange Chemistry have been coming out with some great little gems lately. I love it when you assume you know which direction will take you in but then it completely takes you by surprise. I had earlier completely overlooked Zenn Scarlett, but I think you've easily convinced me to give it a try and that cover is utterly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strange Chemistry/Angry Robot is slowly becoming a favorite for me :) I always appreciate unique stories. When I was younger, I only read books written in the third POV, so I don't think it will bother me; I can still connect with characters that way. And complicated world-buildings can be fascinating! Thanks for the great review :D

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I love that image of a kid with Play-Doh dreaming up a mystical world - very vivid! I've seen some great reviews coming back of this one, and, honestly, I was sold at "breathtaking originality" since I feel like I've been reading the same predictable plots lately. *sighs* Anyway, sounds absolutely wonderful. Thanks for stoking the fires of my interest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one that I wouldn't have picked up on my own (even though the cover whore in me loves the cover!) because of the sci fi factor but your review has me wanting to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds pretty neat. I'm not a huge fan of third person either but I have had a few instances where it worked quite well for me lately so I am still willing to give it a go. Definitely curious about the world building! It seems so often lately I am complaining that there just isn't enough of it, maybe this is what I need in my life (if I can wrap my head around it!) Great review, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember getting an email about this one at some point but it didn't jump off the page at me. I think I might have to try it, though! I love the idea of the whole world that's in this story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that this one is so unique Maja! I can definitely see how the world would be a bit overwhelming at first, I always get a bit disoriented with completely foreign worlds. Under the Never Sky was like that for me at first, but then I just couldn't get enough of it, and it sounds like this one might be the same way. Beautiful review:):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woot for the originality and that it was used for the powers of good not evil, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got this on my reading docket for the weekend, and am excited to learn more about this unique world and its creatures! I'm very glad to hear that the mystery surprised you; that rarely happens for me and I love to be kept guessing until the very end. I have a lot of patience for unfamiliar sci-fi stage setting, so hopefully I won't be bothered too much by the overwhelming worldbuilding. Very excited to read this now! Lovely review Maja :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great it's original. I'm not sure this would be the best fit for me, but there are a lot of books I want to read from these publishers. Angry Robot especially has some good ones, but I guess that's because they came around first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review Maja. This is one I like the sound of. And as you think it suitable for younger YA too, I feel it might be something my son would enjoy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this book and the quotes that you shared. The originality is definitely one of its strongest points. And I want me a Katie :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I recently requested a Angry Robot title, Playing Tyler, that i'm excited to read. I'm interested in this publisher's books because both PT and ZS sound completely original.

    Wonderful review Maja!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it when the answer to the mystery is completely shocking!!!!!! And exciting being creations? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I grabbed this one to review but haven't been reading my ebooks due to headaches. I have a paperwhite on it's way and I'm hoping that helps with reading ebooks. I did read the first bit of this one and am very intrigued! I heard in another review where they said she felt a bit young too, but I guess I'm prepared for that so maybe it'll be okay. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been hearing about this one more and more. I do like the sound of this one and I don't mind the world building because it does sound complicated. Oh I do think I will try this one. I also love to be proven wrong in the end. Yep, onto the wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  17. very interesting, i have never heard of this book before today and it sounds different. I think I would enjoy the world building in this one, it always fascinates me. I don't mind the books that start slow and I am glad that the ending was a surprise for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like the cover for this one but haven't looked into the actual book too much, but I'm thrilled to hear about its originality. I think I'll probably wait to see what direction the series takes before picking it up, but this sounds REALLY good, despite the lack of emotional connection. Fantastic review, Maja! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay, it takes a certain kind of alien book to get me interested, and this one sounds like one that I'd like. I don't mind complex world building, it actually keeps me more interested.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't seen this book around much at all, but the Martian setting made me a little hesitant. I'm not sure if I like the sound of the fall-head-over-heels kind of romance, but hopefully it's not too bad. I'm in a way, curious to see how the plot and world-building work out, since you mentioned it can be overwhelming. Perhaps when I'm in the mood for a sci-fi, I'll check this one out! Thanks for the great review, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always have such a hard time with 3rd person, but sometimes it's done so well that I don't even notice so it doesn't always mean I will hate it. I do like how original this sounds! I'm also always happy when I see that the romance is kept light it's just gotten to be so romance filled lately they all take over could-be good plots! >.<

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh, this one sounds promising! The worldbuilding does sound awfully complicated, good to see it was still great overal!

    Lovely review, Maja! I most likely will be reading this knowing that you really liked it! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's so hard to find something fresh and original. This book certainly seems to be, even if it might take a little more effort.

    Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I still can't decide whether I want to pick this one up or not. The world building sounds complex, but I'd rather that than underdeveloped, and I'm really most interested in seeing the various animals that he comes up with. The insta-love/her seeming young have me hesitant though as that's the type of thing that'll turn me off a book. Likely I'll sit back and see how the series continues before I decide whether or not to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Overly descriptive world building is not usually my cup of tea. So I'm not sure this would be a read for me. Especially, if this is perfect for the middle grade crowd. I'm usually not drawn to middle grade. Wonderful review, Maja. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the cover for this book but it's one I've never heard of! I've had a few chances to read books from Strange Chemistry but I wasn't able to get to them! Now, though, I'll probably check this one out! I don't like 3rd person POV either (except possibly the HP book) but I'm willing to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have also noticed that about Angry Robot/Strange Chemistry. There have been some pretty interesting concepts and surprise twists coming out of their group.

    "In worldbuilding, Schoon reminded me of a kid with Play-Doh and an overactive imagination" <--Love this, Maja! Way to grab my attention! I love LOVE originality in my reads and I don't get to read nearly as many truly original reads as I would like, so that is a major plus, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Super review, Maja. I so enjoyed this one too, and thinking back on it now I see the point about the first person narrative - it would have let us get even closer to Zenn.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pink cover for a male author. Hell to the yeah! I love your comparison of the worldbuilding to a kid playing with Play Doh. Enthusiasm is always a +++ in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What an interesting premise! I actually haven't heard much about this, so I'll need to look into it a bit more. I actually prefer for the books I read to be narrated in third person limited, so I wonder if that's something that I wouldn't be as bothered about. I'm glad you were able to enjoy reading this overall, Maja!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.