Monday, December 12, 2011

Review: Obsidian


Obsidian (Lux, #1)Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publication: May 8th 2012
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Paperback, 361 pages

All my ratings have been pretty high lately, mostly because I choose very carefully what to read next. I value my time too much to purposely read books I know I won’t like. So what on earth possessed me to pick up this book after the Half-Blood debacle, I have no idea.

Most of my friends loved Obsidian and I respect that, I really do. I can even see why, the ingredients are all there: a gorgeous, mean guy and a plain, book-nerdish girl, a love-hate relationship between our protagonists, hero’s perky sister that becomes the heroine’s best friend, the evil ex-girlfriend that spits fire every time our heroine gets close, two clueless friends and a mostly absent single parent… need I go on? However, even when you figure all this out, Armentrout finds a way to sneak up on you. Every now and then I’d lose myself in a funny piece of dialogue or an especially steamy scene, but it wouldn’t take long for me to remember what I was really reading and why it was making me so mad. But let’s start at the beginning.

Three years after the death of her father, Katy’s mother decides that it’s time to move on and that, in order to do that, they need to sell everything they own and move from sunny Florida to a town of about 500 inhabitants in the middle of nowhere, West Virginia. On her first day in the new house, Katy meets her next door neighbors, twins Dee and Daemon. While she and Dee instantly hit it off, Daemon acts like a total jerk and makes some cryptic comments about ‘Katy’s kind’. He is, of course, absolutely gorgeous (Ohmigod, he’s so gorgeous, how could he possibly be attracted to plain ol’ me? I must be imagining things.), and very mysterious. As the time passes, Kat starts noticing that something is not quite right with the way Daemon, Dee and their friends are behaving, and then he saves her from an attacker and well… you know the rest.

Apparently, aliens are the new vampires. No, seriously. Daemon is Edward 2.0 – a moodier, meaner and prettier version of our dear Mr. Cullen. To be honest, this entire book is just another Twilight rip-off. Not flat-out stolen like Half-Blood, but not that far, either. That alone wouldn’t really upset me much since it's not the first and it certainly won't be the last, but what I found unforgivable was that Armentrout felt the need to make fun of Twilight while writing the exact same story.

And when he spoke, it wasn’t out loud. It was in my head. This is what we look like. We are beings of light. Even in human form, we can bend light to our will. There was a pause. As you can see, I don’t look like a giant insect. Or… sparkle. Even in my head I could hear the disgust on that last one.

See? So rude. It’s true that Daemon doesn’t sparkle, but he IS made of light. Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, you should kick pot’s ass.

I’m sure this book will have many fans, but I’m afraid my short and turbulent relationship with Ms. Armentrout is now over.



7 comments:

  1. Whoah, you really are making me reconsider if I should even read this. The truth is I didn't even liked Twilight and the whole scene of a 'weak and innocent' heroine paired up with dark supernatural guy. I much more prefer strong female lead such as Ellie in Angelfire. I can see all the reasons why you don't like this book and it's quite a surprise - everyone seems to like it quite a lot. Uh, I wonder when they'll stop using over and over the same plots. It's hard to come up with something new, I get that. But still. Thanks for the honest and a great review!

    Also, greetings from your Slovenian neighbour. (:
    Aleksandra from My Bookshelves

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this book but I have to agree with you about all those Twilight stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aleksandra, if that's how you felt about Twilight, I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be your cup of tea. There are so many amazing books out there, with strong heroines that don't feel the need to be abused by a boy, it's a shame to waste time on something you probably won't enjoy. Btw, I'm waving from my balcony, I'm sure you can see me through your window. :)

    Glass, I'm actually very happy you enjoyed it. I'm a huge Twilight fan (although I fear that I've made it sound like I'm not), but this didn't come even close. No more Armentrout for me, I'm afraid, but I'll be looking forward to your reviews. I'm very curious to find where she'll go with Pure: will she continue taking ideas from Richelle Mead or will she finally find her own story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of my friends love this book. I can´t believe you don´t!

    Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're the first person I saw who didn't like this Maja. I love the honest review though! I was actually pretty excited to read this but now... IDK anymore. If there is one thing I dislike, is hating on other people/things. I don't care if people hate Twilight, no reason to flat out hate on it.

    Great review:D

    -thank you&come again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your review was really good and just made me wish to read this book more than ever.

    Thanks for the post!

    Marlene Detierro (Pay Dirt)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked your opinion, I really loved the book, but seeing it from someone elses point of view is great. Also I know you are super busy but if you could take a look at my blog and tell me what I could do better at, or what I am doing good at would be great, I am sorry I am asking its just I have read a few of your posts and I really enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.