Wednesday, September 14, 2016

The Very Best of Romantic Suspense: The Witness by Nora Roberts


The Witness
Author: Nora Roberts
Series: Standalone
Released: May 22nd 2012
Publisher: Piatkus
Length: 488 pages
Source: Bought
Buy: The Book Depository

Daughter of a controlling mother, Elizabeth finally let loose one night, drinking at a nightclub and allowing a strange man's seductive Russian accent lure her to a house on Lake Shore Drive. The events that followed changed her life forever. 
Twelve years later, the woman known as Abigail Lowery lives on the outskirts of a small town in the Ozarks. A freelance programmer, she designs sophisticated security systems--and supplements her own security with a fierce dog and an assortment of firearms. She keeps to herself, saying little, revealing nothing. But Abigail's reserve only intrigues police chief Brooks Gleason. Her logical mind, her secretive nature, and her unromantic viewpoints leave him fascinated but frustrated. He suspects that Abigail needs protection from something--and that her elaborate defenses hide a story that must be revealed. 
With a quirky, unforgettable heroine and a pulse-pounding plotline, Nora Roberts presents a riveting new read that cements her place as today's most reliably entertaining thriller
author--and will leave people hungering for more.

The Witness is perhaps Nora Roberts’ best and most successful romantic suspense novel, which is saying something considering the dozens we have to choose from. It’s a long novel, as her romances usually are, but every word is thought-through and every sentence exactly in its place. Nora has a steady, experienced hand fully capable of leading us through decades of backstories and keeping us fully engaged the whole time.

This story starts with an overprotected teen during her first and only rebellion. Elizabeth has one of the highest IQs ever recorded and her neurosurgeon mother has been shaping her since she was born. She was never allowed to chose her own interests, clothes or even food. So when she rebels, she does so with teen hormones and unparalleled intelligence. Needless to say, the results are disastrous.

Elizabeth takes us through her most traumatic experience, the witness protection that follows and the hard truths of life. We meet her again years later and see her transformed into a competent, paranoid and solitary woman. As Abigail Lowery, she trusts no one but her dog and her social skills are virtually non-existent. When police chief Brooks Gleason shows up, Abigail’s response is to arm herself with guns and knowledge and turn him away as quickly as he can. But Brooks is easygoing and incredibly stubborn, determined to learn the paranoid lady’s secrets.

Abigail/Elizabeth is by far the most intriguing of Nora’s characters (not counting Eve Dallas and Roarke, of course). Her intelligence is reflected both in the things she does and how she interacts with others. She says the strangest things, which is sometimes annoying and sometimes endearing, but the humor that can be found in her awkwardness and all the dialogues is undoubtedly this book’s strongest point.

This is a book I could reread once a month and never get tired of it. Nora Roberts’ unparalleled storytelling and unforgettable characters would make an addict out of any reader, which is precisely what she’s been doing for over 35 years. For those of you who are new to her writing, The Witness might just be the best place to start. Be warned, however, that Nora’s fans are for life.



10 comments:

  1. I loved this story! It was my first Nora Roberts romantic suspense and I was impressed. I need to get to more of her backlist soon. Wonderful review, Maja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am at last reading my second Nora Roberts...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, there's a lot of Nora hits the blogs lately. This must be a sign to get on the ball and pick her books up again. Adding this one for sure. I still want to read the Death series before any of them though. At least the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow one of the best? I'm intrigued now mainly as I know you read many of hers! I still have the same books as I always say that I need to read lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clearly, I need to get this one STAT and curl up with it a good cuppa on my next day off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read her Eve and Roarke books (LOVE THEM!), but I'm thinking I need to branch out from JD Robb and give her Nora Roberts books a try! Thanks so much for the recommendation Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read all of her books, and somehow I missed this one..going to rectify that right now..thanks Maja

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have to look this one up. I have been dipping my toes in the Nora Roberts pool of books, and so far, I have loved what I read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh this sounds so good, Maja. I think I have a copy of this one somewhere so I'm definitely bumping it up my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I STILL haven't read a book by her but you aren't the only one to tell me she is good. DARN! I so need to get to reading this author!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.