Friday, August 1, 2014

Audiobook Review: The Promise


The Promise (Thunder Point, #5)Author: Robyn Carr
Narrator: Therese Plummer
Series: Thunder Point, #5
Published: June 24th 2014
Publisher: Brilliance Audio
Lenght: 10 hrs and 6 mins
Buy: Audible

Scott Grant has a bustling family practice in the small Oregon community of Thunder Point. The town and its people have embraced the widowed doctor and father of two, his children are thriving, and Scott knows it's time to move on from his loss. But as the town's only doctor, the dating pool is limited. That is, until a stunning physician's assistant applies for a job at his clinic.

Robyn Carr’s Thunder Point series is a favorite of mine. All these books are perfect rainy day comfort reads that make me want to curl up with a blanket and a cup of hot chocolate and shut the world out. Her Thunder Point is a very small town with a tight-knit community. Everyone is up in everyone else’s business, but not one of them with bad intentions.



Consequently, I see all the characters as my dear friends. There is a couple at the center of each book, but the community is never neglected. We get to see those we’re already very familiar with, as well as those we have yet to get to know.

That said, it makes me incredibly sad to write a less-than-stellar review for this latest Thunder Point novel. Scott and Peyton’s story isn’t up to Carr’s usual standard, and as hard as I tried, I failed to get invested like I should have. Above all else I was bored and severely annoyed by their lack of communication.

Although present, the community I love so much took a back seat in this book, which would have been fine if Scott and Peyton were a strong enough couple to carry the full novel. Neither their romance nor their problems were big enough to keep me interested throughout, though, and I wished others were given a more important role.

Once again, Therese Plummer completely saved the day. She is the type of narrator who could easily read a phone book and make it sound interesting. Her confidence and voice characterization are practically unmatched. I doubt I would have finished this book if not for her. As it was, she made the whole experience more pleasant.

I will go back to this series, of course. I'm not quite ready to give up after one weak link. I just hope The Homecoming will prove to be a diffrent kind of read, one closer to those first four I liked so much.


11 comments:

  1. Oh I'm sorry it wasn't that good but I can understand. I haven't tried a book by the author but I heard great things about her and I think I should try one day. Maybe not this one. I'm finishing my first audiobook but I don't think I'll try again, it's too long for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always such a bummer when a book on a beloved series is a let down!
    Hopefully the next book will be up to the previous books standard, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I'm sorry that a book in your favorite series disappointed you, Maja. I've heard some good things about Carr, but I've never picked up anything by her yet.
    It's a shame that the community took a back seat. That's always a favorite aspect of mine of these small town romances. Hopefully, the next book is stronger for you.
    Lovely review, Maja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad Maja! It's always extra disappointing to come across a less than stellar story when it's part of a series you absolutely love. I'm glad the narrator saved the day though, and was good enough to make you continue when you otherwise would have set the book aside:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry you had such a hard time with this one and it didn't live up to your expectations. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of this series but it seems like a story with nice setting and nice characters. But what bothers me is romance here. It seems like it wasn't as good as it sounds. Too bad that this one disappointed you. Great review, Maja :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read anything by this author. It is too bad this one wasn't a win for you at least the narrator saved it. I don;t think I have listened to anything by her but I would have to go check )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh too bad! I still haven't read anything by her yet. At least the narrator is brill. I'm going to have to look out for audios by her. After having a couple of bad narrators I tend to really pay attention to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The narrator sounds great even if the story not so much

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww, I hate when this happens. I have those romance authors I just LOVE and constantly go back to because of their ability to write strong love stories such substance but occasionally there's always that one weak link in a series of companion books and it's so disappointing. Especially because you trusted the author and the book to be a definite comfort read. :/ I hope your next read is a lot better, Maja, and I'm definitely hoping the next novel in this series is back to your standards--I definitely need to check out the first novel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thunder Point reminded me of the province I used to live in. It's a tight-knit community as well and I felt really safe and warm while I lived there because people really look out for each other. I'm sorry that this installment is quite disappointing from the author's other work but I'm glad you listened to this and that it was narrated by someone really good so at least your reading experience was pleasurable.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.