Monday, December 9, 2013

Review: Magic and Loss (Golgotham, #3)


Magic and Loss (Golgotham #3)y Author: Nancy A. Collins
Series: Golgotham, #3
Released: November 5th 2013.
Publisher: Roc
Format: Paperback, 304 pages
Buy: The Book Depository

Located on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, Golgotham has been the city’s supernatural district for centuries. Populated by creatures from myth and legend, the neighborhood’s most prominent citizens are the Kymera, a race of witches who maintain an uneasy truce with the city’s humans...
It has been several months since Tate Eresby developed her new magical ability to bring whatever she creates to life, but she is still learning to control her power. Struggling to make a living as an artist, she and Hexe can barely make ends meet, but they are happy.
That is until Golgotham’s criminal overlord Boss Marz is released from prison, bent on revenge against the couple responsible for putting him there. Hexe’s right hand is destroyed, leaving him unable to conjure his benign magic. Attempts to repair the hand only succeed in plunging Hexe into a darkness that can’t be lifted—even by news that Tate is carrying his child.
Now, with her pregnancy seeming to progress at an astonishing rate, Tate realizes that carrying a possible heir to the Kymeran throne will attract danger from all corners, even beyond the grave...
Magic and Loss is the long-awaited third installment in Nancy Collins’s Golgotham series. Its release has been pushed back a time or two, so when it finally became available, it completely slipped my mind. In case you’re a fan and the same happened to you, rejoice – it’s out!

Returning to Golgotham is always such a wonderful experience for me. Collins enriched New York with a whole new neighborhood inhabited by the ruling Kymerans, and with them, leprechauns, satyrs, fauns and so many other races. It is a richly detailed world, enchanting and endlessly entertaining. But it is also a dangerous world, especially for powerless, defenseless humans. It is a place of constant turmoil, political games, threat of the supernatural mafia and left-hand magic, the evil kind.

For Tate, a human girl and former heiress, Golgotham has become a home. She is no longer the lost girl who moved there because of low rent. Her newly developed power to animate metal objects she creates through her art, as well as her stable relationship with Hexe, made her a much stronger woman. It was lovely to see her new life, the independence and strength she now possesses.

I always liked Tate, even before she developed her powers. Even as a human in the middle of a supernatural world, she was always a worthy UF heroine – strong, outspoken and decisive. I admired her for finding her way around Golgotham all on her own, and especially for choosing Hexe over her family’s wealth when the time came.

The plot in Magic and Loss is slow to pick up, the first part of the book dedicated solely to painting a picture of Tate and Hexe’s life, with all its advantages and challenges. When the story does pick up, though, it becomes very eventful and extremely emotional. The local mafia boss shatters Hexe’s right hand, stoping him from doing magic and turning him into a bitter, self-centered version of himself. The changes in Hexe come at the worst possible time – Tate is pregnant and scared that she’ll have to raise their child alone, if she doesn’t find a way to make Hexe whole again.


Surprisingly (and disappointingly), Magic and Loss appears to be the final installment. I only realized this when I reached the final chapter – all the threads were tied too neatly. I’m going to miss Tate and Hexe, but even more, I’ll miss all their friends and neighbors and the enchanting atmosphere of Golgotham. Oh, well, I can always reread, right?


18 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this trilogy - ever - but a short UF series with a stable romance, wonderful heroine, and engaging plot? I'll have to read this ASAP! Thanks for putting this on my radar, Maja!(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard about this series before, but a UF series that is only a trilogy? Well, it seems that I really should give this one try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How disappointing to realize this was the last one at the very end of the whole thing!

    I am glad overall you enjoy this series, I am always looking for a good UF.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A UF trilogy? That's strange indeed! I've never heard of this series or author at all, but I do like the promise of a strong heroine and a stable romance with an engaging plot. I'll have to look it up. Too bad everything ties up too neatly though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hate it when books I really want keep getting pushed back and moved around so much that I can't keep up and eventually lose track of them! Glad that despite all the release date shuffling, you eventually found your way to this one and enjoyed it for the most part. Too bad on the slow start and the neatly wrapped up ending, but the emotional element with Hexe sounds fantastic. That came out wrong. It's not fantastic what happens to him, I just love a highly emotional read:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a new to me series, and it is hard when you say good -bye to characters. I will check out book one. Wonderful review Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need this one, I liked the previous ones :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is what I love about blogging - I get to find out about new series that I'd never heard of before! I'd never come across this trilogy before but definitely be looking up more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, no! I hate when you don't realize you're reading the last book. It's almost like you need to savor things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh no... I didn't know it's the last one... I'm so not happy! And like you I forgot about this one but I can't wait to read it. But now I'm just sad it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate it when publishers keep playing with release dates. Exactly what happens to me... I forget. AND then it's the last and you don't know it? I hate that too. Although I'm always complaining that the loose ends aren't tied up, I also don't love when it is just too easy and neat too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this author on my TBR list but its for her other two series. Bummer to hear that such a great series gets the cut so short in the game. I look forward to trying her work though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely hate when I love a series and it gets the chop! Especially when things are too neatly tied off, and there's so much more story to tell. I am glad to have read your review because I haven't tried this series yet, and it's great to hear that you would want to re-read the series because you miss the world and its characters. I'll have to give it a try, and at least I know I won't have any cliffhanger waits ahead of me since all the books are published. Lovely review Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to have to go check out this series. I can't place it in my mind at the moment. Sounds good though. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the first two books but I haven't read them yet. I'll definitely have to bump them up the pile since you seem to enjoy the series. I hadn't heard much about them before.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved this series. I'm a little sad to learn that it's ending, because it still has so much scope. Hopefully the response to it will prompt the author to write some more. It's left open ended enough to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  17. aww I am sorry it seems like it's the final book. This series sounds wonderful, will have to pick up book 1 :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's only the last book in the series if you allow it to be. If you want more, contact Penguin/Roc and tell them so. My editor's name is Danielle Stockley. I have another three books planned, one of which is outlined, about the future of Golgotham.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.