Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Mini Review: Taste the Heat


Taste the Heat (Love and Games, #1)Author: Rachel Harris
Series: Love and Games, #1
Release: July 8th 2013
Publisher: Entangled: Bliss
Format: ebook, 191 pages
Buy: Amazon


One sexy fire captain. One Cajun chef, One combustible kitchen…
When chef Colby Robicheaux returned home to New Orleans to save her family restaurant, the last person she expected to reconnect with was her brother’s best friend and her childhood crush. As tempting as a sugar-coated beignet, Jason is one dish she doesn’t want to taste. Colby is counting down the days till she can leave the place where her distrust of love and commitment originated and go back to Vegas.

Fire captain Jason Landry isn’t looking for love, either. He knows he should focus on finding the perfect mother for his daughter, but when he first sees Colby, all grown up and gorgeous, he can’t help but be drawn to her. And when she suggests a no-strings-attached fling, Jason doesn’t want to say no.

As their relationship grows more intense, Colby finds that Jason isn’t as easy to leave behind as she thought. Could turning up the heat on something real be worth the possibility of getting burned?
Although I’m usually known for my reluctance to read anything contemporary, the second winter arrives, I feel like reading nothing but adult contemporary romance. Not just any romance either, but low-angst, adorable, preferably set in a small-town with very developed secondary characters and a healthy dose of humor. When it’s this cold outside, angst and drama become my worst enemies, and sweet sexual tension is my only friend. (In books, people, in books.)

Taste the Heat by Rachel Harris hits everything on my checklist. Colby and Jason are those sweet, perfect(ly flawed), completely unrealistic characters. She is a famous chef, back in New Orleans to help her family and he is a firefighter, the Chief, no less, and a loving single father. These two have known each other forever, but when Colby returns, Jason fails to recognize her. What he does recognize, however, is the sizzling chemistry between them. The two are drawn to each other like magnets, but they have their reasons for staying away.

The sweet and often hilarious secondary characters were given more than enough time to develop. It’s pretty clear that Harris always intended to turn this into a longish series with the Robicheaux family at its center. A nice set-up for a second book, centered around Colby’s older brother and the timid firefighter Angelle, was provided in Taste the Heat. I can’t wait to see how their romance plays out.

17 comments:

  1. All of her adult books sound so good, I really need to pick one of them up one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this! The second book is definitely better and one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm such a sucker for romances during the Christmas time, so I'll have to check this one out for sure! ;) Great mini-review, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read the sequel but not this one but it was fun so I'll definitely check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cutsie romances. They're sweet and fun, not too much work to read or enjoy. Perfect for curling up with by the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eh, I can't say it calls out to me

    ReplyDelete
  7. "When it’s this cold outside, angst and drama become my worst enemies, and sweet sexual tension is my only friend. (In books, people, in books.) "

    SAME MAJA! I'm always in the mood for light and fluffy this time of year, I just can't curl up with a dark, gritty book and a cup of hot chocolate. It's not the same. I need a cute romance that makes me smile and this seems like it's just that. I don't need to be blown away, I just want to close the book happy, so I'm adding this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, this sounds adorable. I'll have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet and hilarious characters are something I love, so putting on wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to confess I have a certain soft spot for books set up in the south, even if contemporaries and romance aren't my faves, but something light and fun like this is always a nice change of pace.
    Great review, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the sound of her books, I have seen a few of them but have not read it. A lot of my goodreads friends seem to be over the hill for this one when it came out. I have not read it yet, unfortunately but it does sound very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, this sounds like a contemp romance for me. You had me at how these characters are so perfectly flawed, but you nailed me when you said humor. Yep, must give these a try! Plus, how can you go wrong with a hunky fireman? :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I understand, I don't read a lot but I'm more and more into the genre. I love to read some contemporaries from time to time, it's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you took a chance on this one Maja. I adored it - mostly because I just can't find enough sexy good guys!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a sweet, funny Sunday afternoon read. I can read this type of book in a few hours. You my friend are a seasonal reader..I go through phases myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with you, I like the more low angst romance usually in contemporary. This cover doesn't really appeal to me at all, but I'm glad the story was good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also enjoy these relatively low angst sweet contemporaries when I'm in the right mood. Sounds like this is a sweet read, and that the series will be full of similar stories like these to pick up in the future. I think I'll squeeze this one in after this very dreary and sad contemporary I'm reading now, I could use a pick me up! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.