Sunday, September 22, 2013

Review: Origin (Lux, #4)


Origin (Lux, #4)Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux, #4
Release date: August 27th 2013
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Paperback, 366 pages
Buy: The Book Depository

Daemon will do anything to get Katy back.
After the successful but disastrous raid on Mount Weather, he’s facing the impossible. Katy is gone. Taken. Everything becomes about finding her. Taking out anyone who stands in his way? Done. Burning down the whole world to save her? Gladly. Exposing his alien race to the world? With pleasure.
All Katy can do is survive.
Surrounded by enemies, the only way she can come out of this is to adapt. After all, there are sides of Daedalus that don’t seem entirely crazy, but the group’s goals are frightening and the truths they speak even more disturbing. Who are the real bad guys? Daedalus? Mankind? Or the Luxen?
Together, they can face anything.
But the most dangerous foe has been there all along, and when the truths are exposed and the lies come crumbling down, which side will Daemon and Katy be standing on?
And will they even be together?


I have the strangest fluctuating relationship with Jennifer Armentrout. It started with me downright despising her for her plagiaristic tendencies, changed into a grudging sort of respect for the entertainment her books provide and progressed to open affection for her characters. But even when I admired her the most, (after Deity and Opal, to be precise) that little nagging voice in the back of my head kept screaming “Book thief!” And not the Markus Zusak kind either.

Regardless of how I felt about her at any particular moment, I was always aware that she isn’t the best of writers, technically speaking. She is no Maggie Stiefvater, Ann Aguirre or Elizabeth Wein and most of what she does is pure fan service, but this is something I can’t and won’t ever hold against her. What she does know is how to create characters that crawl right under your skin intent on staying there for all eternity. Oh, and swoon-worthy boys. She definitely knows a thing or two about those.

With Deity, she had me right where she wanted me – in love with Alex and Aiden and hanging on to her every word. She repeated the process with Opal, and just like any other addiction, left me needing larger doses in shorter time intervals.

But with Apollyon and now Origin, she almost lost me again. So I had to sit down and ask myself what went wrong.

A part of it was surely my lingering upset over the cliffhanger Opal left us with. The situation Daemon and Kat found themselves in was not an easy one to resolve and the first part of the book was more dark and hopeless than strictly necessary. It made things torturous and slow, and with Kat’s imprisonment and sense of powerlessness came this overwhelming feeling of claustrophobianthat I just couldn’t get over and it stayed that way for a very long time. It wasn’t until the 40% mark that things started to pick up. After that, I was glued to my seat and to my Kindle like I was supposed to be from the start… and it just went uphill from there.

Secondly, the secondary characters I’ve grown to love were mostly absent from Origin and Kat and Daemon were surrounded by new names and faces, the vast majority of them far too unpleasant. So it was really up to our favorite duo to keep us engaged and entertained, and even poor Katy wasn’t her usual self. So I found myself wanting to go back to the good old days, with Dee and Dawson, and even Ash.

On the other hand, the relationship aspect of Origin was something I enjoyed immensely. This is how I like my romantic couples: together, in sync, and ready to face all outside threats. There are no misunderstandings between Daemon and Kat, no jealousy, no insecurity, no negative feelings whatsoever. What they do, they do together, and they are both well aware of what they have.

So yes, fan service… there’s a lot of that going on. About 20% of Origin was written purely to satisfy the army of Daemon’s screaming fans, but as I stated earlier, this isn’t something I’m willing to hold against Armentrout. I’m one of Daemon’s screaming fans, after all, and I do like to swoon as much as the next girl.

The ending of Origin, while not a nasty cliffhanger, leaves far too many questions and not enough answers. If I’m not mistaken, the next book is also the last, so we have at least one clean ending to look forward to.



18 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. JLA is not one of the writers that buy you with her writing like Maggie for example but yeah she really knows how to create swoon-worthy boy. I honestly enjoyed Apollyon but still haven't read Origin. I'm kinda afraid that this will happen. I'm glad you enjoyed it over all and I hope that last book will bring this story back on track :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really get sold with swoony guys so I'm not awfully convinced that but the romance seems likt something I'll be grateful for.

    Lovely review, Maja! <33

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have mixed feelings about JLA too - as you said, her novels are fun, but you constantly think that's from this or that book.
    Great review, Maja, as always.

    Glass @ Way Too Hot Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's got how many series now? 3? 4? Including her adult and new adult? I can only get through the initial books. After a while, the swoony-boy or the sexy man just wasn't enough to get me reading the rest. She's so popular though so I don't think she'll lose sleep over the very, very few who are not really fans.

    Ahhh the cliff hangers. I can't. I need resolution. I can't be wasting my time wanting and waiting.

    Maybe I'll read these books again when the last book comes out.

    Great review, Maja. I'm glad you're able to find some good things with these books regardless of the love and hate relationship you have with JLA's books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not too keen on reading this one, for some reason. I picked it up, but the beginning was so slow that I have up on it after a few pages. I read the first three books in this series in succession, but it's been too long for me to truly get back to these characters. I've stopped caring too much about them, I think. I'm glad this one did pick up, though it seems hard for Katy and Daemon to carry off a book by themselves. And you're absolutely right about Armentrout's writing. Anyway, if the last book winds up being amazing then I'll go back to give this a try. Wonderful review, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You hit the nail on the head Maja. I don't agree with the book thief thing that much but nowadays I'm having a bit of a love and not so much love relationship with JLA

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you. The girl does know how to write a swoon worthy guy for sure and despite cliffhangers I am really looking forward to Sentinel!!

    I read the first book in this series and loved it but for some reason just haven't picked up the other and I loved Daemon so I am not sure why I have been so hesitant, maybe because of the cliffies. Either way, lovely review as always Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so behind in this series!! I read the first book and then, wow, she keeps them coming one after the other. It's great that fans don't have to wait a year between books, but I need to sit down and catch up.

    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  9. I gave this book the same rating, Maja, though I've actually enjoyed most of Armentrout's titles in the past. This was probably the most disappointing book in the series for me, and I can't exactly pinpoint why. I wasn't immediately sucked in either (and am guilty of skimming a lot of it), but I suppose I was still invested in Daemon and Katy's relationship. Hopefully the final book will impress. Lovely review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your honest thoughts. I haven't read anything by this author, but I am curious. It sounds like she does try and keep the fans happy, but you can't fault a girl for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love The Covenant series but gave up on this one after the second book, Maja, because Daemon's such an ass. I love that Armentrout makes her fans so happy with the romance though because I know when I read Sentinel, I'm going to be ecstatic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your honest review!

    I love the way her books are usualy such a fast and fun read, with swoon-y boys, and witty comebacks, and I have to say I love the Covenant series more than the Lux series, even if I love Daemon and Katy's relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic review Maja! These pleasure writers are as much need as Maggies. A time to be with lovable characters! I'm glad Katy and Daemon are solid in this book. I probably will miss Dee in this book too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am def right with you on the endings that leave you hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Daemon and Katy, and of course I'm a sucker for a swoon-worthy boy/romance-so I must read more. That cliff hanger about killed me in Opal though. Origin sounds a bit dark and serious this time around. Thanks for the fabulous review Maja.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do like this series but I don't like hearing that the first 40% is tortuous. I know it has to be that way to begin with because of Katy's situation, but still, I don't like to be biting my nails for that long. I always think about the VA and Covenant similarities at the beginning when I read her work. It's at the back of my mind. I wonder if she would take that back if she had the choice. Wonderful review, Maja. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't read the one before this, but that's probably good since it has a cliffhanger. I'm with you on the mixed feeling about her. I love some of her books though, and this is one series I've stuck with and enjoyed. My issue was always the relationship aspect in the beginning and now that that is resolved I don't really have big issues. Of course, I still need to catch up on the books so that could change. I don't usually have high expectations from her so I end up enjoying them more then I think I will.

    ReplyDelete
  18. THIS is a great review! You captured my feelings about JLA and this book fantastically. I completely agree that Deity and Opal are my favorites, though I think I liked Apollyon better than Origin. I also agree with your assessment of her strengths - and the fact that her stories are ones I've seen before (though the Covenant series much more than Lux *cough* Vampire Academy *cough*). I actually didn't mind the beginning of this book, but I for some reason struggled near the end and inched along over a week. Because I was so nervous about another cliffy. That loss of momentum really bugged me. HOWEVER, I agree, that I prefer books where we're able to see the strength of a couple TOGETHER (I know I've also talked about this being a favorite aspect of her writing in a review of one of her books). I've gotten fed up with series that feature a couple that cannot get in sync until the very end of the last book. It drives me NUTS. So I'm happy that JLA gives us what we want. In any case, I'm really hoping for a strong ending from both of these series! Sorry for the rambles. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.