Friday, June 14, 2013

Review: Vortex (Tempest, #2)


Vortex (Tempest, #2)Author: Julie Cross
Series: Tempest, #2
Release date: January 3rd 2013
Publisher: Macmillan Children's
Hardcover, 435 pages
Source: Publisher for review
Buy: The Book Depository

Jackson Meyer has thrown himself into his role as an agent for Tempest, the shadowy division of the CIA that handles all time-travel-related threats. Despite his heartbreak at losing the love of his life, Jackson has proved himself to be an excellent agent. However, allthat changes when Holly—the girl he altered history to save—re-enters his life. And when Eyewall, an opposing division of the CIA, emerges, Jackson and his fellow agents find themselves under attack and on the run.

Vortex is an excellent book for people like me who occasionally suffer from book ADD. It is an attention-grabber that will pull you in with its prologue and refuse to let go. Cross has no trouble securing reader interest and I’m pretty sure she just grins wickedly when we beg for more. And make no mistake, I am begging. More, please!

In Vortex, Jackson struggles to reorganize his life and find a way to live without two people who mean the most to him. He begins training with the Tempest unit of the CIA, desperate to fight the Enemies of Time and keep Holly safe. Although talented and intelligent, Jackson doesn’t have it easy and being the boss’s son doesn’t help him gain the confidence of his peers.

Even with all the action and CIA training, Vortex was a much more contemplative book than its predecessor. Its focus was Jackson’s growth and his relationships, be it with his father, his colleagues or Holly. That’s not to say it wasn’t exciting – Cross kept throwing Jackson in impossible situations from which he had to dig himself out. The Enemies of Time were never more dangerous, but even more dangerous were the enemies Jackson didn’t see coming.

Readers who considered Holly plain and unworthy of Jackson’s attention will be relieved by her absence in Vortex. I was, too, but for very different reasons. Away from Holly, but with her safety at the forefront of his mind, Jackson was able to grow tremendously, to become a responsible adult, one worthy of both admiration and affection. It was amazing to watch Jackson become the man he is now. The second he decided to put someone else’s life above his own, he became more mature and collected, far more focused than he ever was. The other Tempest operatives kept misjudging him because of his father and he endured it all with patience and grace.

Adam’s absence was a bit harder to endure. He was my favorite in Tempest (I always fall for the geeky best friend) and without his humorous input, Jackson’s adventures simply weren’t the same. I’m not sure when (or even if) he’ll be back, but I’ll keep my fingers tightly crossed.

Vortex is a read rich with jaw dropping surprises, and the game is always changing. I tend to struggle with the concept of time travel and that proved true here as well. Cross doesn’t really do recaps and since I’d forgotten most of the details from Tempest, I was more than a little lost at the beginning. The truth is, this book will punish you severely if your mind strays to your lunch plans, shoe shopping or bills, but if you give it your full attention, you will be rewarded.


19 comments:

  1. I have never actually finished the first book in this series. I simply couldn't get myself into the book and I couldn't connect with it. I'm glad you enjoyed this one but I think I'll let this series go. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard too many good things about this series, though I've always been curious about it because of the time travel element, so I'll hopefully give it a try sometime soon. Wonderful review, Maja - I'm glad this sequel satisfied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The attention grabbing and great twists sounds great, I need to start reading this series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds AWESOME Maja! I really enjoyed the first book, and I so love the sound of Jackson's growth in this one. Character growth is what I most look forward to with a book series, there's just something infinitely satisfying to witness their change from beginning to end. Cannot wait to give this one a try! Gorgeous and well-thought out review my friend:) I feel like I say that all the time to you, but it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! I've had book ADD at times, but usually with books I just can't seem to get into. I don't think that would be a problem here. I really love the sound of the characters and I tell you, I think you have me more curious about Adam in the first book. So need to get that book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha book ADD! Omg wasn't this ever complex though, eh? Like you can't let your mind wander of you will be completely confused with this time travel aspect (damn shoe shopping mind!!). Contemplative is the perfect way to describe it, too. And OMG the ending!! I'm curious to see if she'll go the daring route with it or not but I doubt it, very few authors would go through with it which is unfortunate since I think it would be kind of cool to actually have the guts. Anyways, I'm glad you liked this one too I think this is one of the rare series where I enjoyed the sequel as much as the first!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah book ADD here as well. I really struggled with Mead's book. I didn't read Tempest. I even had a copy, but then I steered cleared since there was some drama around it. I do like a good time travel book so I would enjoy this. I see you haven't given up on Hearne, yet!
    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't actually read too many time travel books but do feel that they have the tendency to get complicated. I also really need recaps. The last couple of sequels I've read, I've add to read the last few chapters of the previous book first. Great review Maja, and I'm glad you enjoyed this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love time travel and still need to read book one. I too love when a book grabs you and won't let go, wonderful review Maja and I am delighted that you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed the first book and have been anxious to read this one. The only thing holding me back is that the it's somewhat complicated for me to wrap my head around. There are a lot of details to remember with how the time travel works and I'm afraid I've about forgot it all already. I'm thinking that when the next book comes out I'll do a reread of the first and then read them all in a row, that way I won't have time to forget anything. I'm really glad you enjoyed this one so much. I didn't know that Holly was absent much of the time. I'm definitely curious and anxious to see where things go!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Book ADD, I love it! I feel like I have that lately. It has been hard for books to keep my attention and I never know if it is me or the book some days.
    Great review as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, I need to read this series. Attention grabbing beginning sounds amazing- as I'm failing to find some of those lately.

    Awesome review, Maja! <33

    ReplyDelete
  13. As much as I get fascinated by time travel--especially when it's created as well as in this series--it can get extremely complicated. Like Tempest, this novel is not to be read with a wandering mind, or you will find yourself in the middle of a complex story with no idea where you are--or when. For this reason, it may not be for everyone, but if you enjoy reads that are as intelligent as they are fun, then this series is for you!

    Irene Jennings (Seattle Divorce Lawyers)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have serious book ADD too, so I love when a book sucks me in and doesn't let me go (otherwise, it might get lost in my sea of half-reads). Love the sound of Jackson's growth, but I'm with you, I'm all about the geeky best friend. Hopefully he'll make a reappearance! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed this sequel so much. This wasn't high on my TBR list but I'm moving it up now! Lovely review Maja :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was one of the very few people who never read the first book. I actually hadn't even heard of the sequel until now! (Which is surprising, considering how much publicity went into the first book.) Jackson sounds like a great character, and I'm glad he develops a lot in this sequel. I LOVE when characters grow. And jaw-dropping twists? I'm so in! It looks like I'll have to read this book soon. Sounds like I'm missing out! Fantastic review, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG Maja, this book seems so interesting and action-packed! I actually haven't read the first book in the series (I know, shame on me), but now I think I might have to, after reading your glowing review. I want to know more about Jackson- he seems like a really complex, phenomenal character whom I would love to get to know. Bahahaha ADD?! I completely get ya! There are times I really need to pick up a Contemporary novel for review, but I just can't sit through all the heartfelt emotion... does that make me sound like a monster? 0.o But it's true! I need something fast-paced and gripping to keep me hooked at certain times, and thanks to you I think I may have found just the book to do that! Thanks for the lovely review as usual, Maja-doll! <3 x

    ReplyDelete
  17. OHHH ! Wonderful review, Maja. I love jaw-dropping surprises! :D

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  18. No adam?? *NOOOOOOO*

    I'm not sure I want to read this one now

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hmmm, I think I remember the first book. I've not read it, but I want to get it. Sounds like an amazing follow up with this one. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.