Friday, November 9, 2012

Review: Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz


TeethAuthor: Hannah Moskowitz
Published: January 1st 2013
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Hardcover, 288 pages
Buy: The Book Depository


With Teeth, you have two choices: you can either read it, or someone can hit you over the head with it. The result will be the same: you will end up bewildered and wincing in pain.

Rudy’s family just moved to a remote island, hoping the magic fish Enki would cure his little brother of cystic fibrosis. As much as he loves his brother Dylan, Rudy is desperately lonely and bored out of his mind – until he meets Teeth, half-human-half-fish boy with whom he starts a tentative friendship.

This fishboy, Teeth, is not some gorgeous, misunderstood hero. He is monstrous, the ugliest creature Rudy has ever seen, with a mouth full of needle-sharp teeth and a torso covered in nasty scales. He is also insufferable, bratty, stubborn and unreasonable, but over time, he becomes loyal to Rudy, or as loyal as a fishboy can ever be. To Rudy, he is interesting and exotic, but it’s the feeling of loneliness that keeps them together.

His tail is skinny and silver, the same color as Dylan’s fish. All of his scales, especially the ones on his chest, look dry, like they’re about to flake off. His hair is short and uneven. Mermaids in fairy tales were never this ugly. Mermen.

I find it interesting that Moskowitz always manages to work in a mention of the book or author that influenced her. In Invincible Summer, all the characters are quoting Camus and the book itself is influenced by Camus’ existential prose. In Teeth, which is so obviously kafkaesque, Rudy and his friend Diana read and discuss The Metamorphosis. With this, she robs her readers of the chance to recognize these connections and influences for themselves.
There are so many parallels between Teeth and The Metamorphosis that I can’t even begin to count them – from the way people treat (or rather ignore) Teeth, to the grotesque wounds on his body. (Remember Gregor Samsa’s apple?). Even the two fishermen are a metaphor for the government – no one but them knows the right bait for Enki, which makes them the only ones with any kind of power on an otherwise lawless island. Their conflict with Teeth makes the metaphor even stronger. He is the Gregor Samsa of this story, and they are the powers that be that beat him and abuse him in every possible way, while the rest of the world completely ignores his existence

Moskowitz’s writing style has developed into this amazing, quirky thing, with sentences that surprise a laugh out of you not only because they’re funny, but because of how they’re constructed. She has a way of making these sentences seem like a natural thought process of her main character, an ability that gave Rudy a very authentic voice. Even with all the layers and metaphors and connections with Kafka, what truly kept me reading was this lost and lonely teenage boy and his complicated feelings towards his family.

My parents keep him cooped up because they’re afraid that someone will cough on him, but I do it because not everyone is as receptive to endless talk about octopuses and body fluids as we are, you weird kid, come curl up and tell me and leave the normal people out of it.

I’m still convinced that Gone, Gone, Gone is Hannah Moskowtz’s best work because it stemmed from her own experience and not her obsession with another writer. I really hope she’ll go back to relying on herself with her next project. That’s when she truly shines.


29 comments:

  1. I've yet to read a book by Hannah Moskowtz as of yet but I've heard really great things and I'm especially interested in Teeth. I love those snippets you featured, it makes me want to read more of it.

    I'm not sure which book of Hannah's I'll be starting with first as there are quite a few to choose from and they all interesting but I'll be sure to look into Gone, Gone Gone since it's your favourite of her's and you love it so much. Amazing review, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been pining for Teeth ever since I read the synopsis. Although, I haven't read anything from Hannah yet, I know that she's a great author. I also haven't read The Metamorphosis yet so I doubt I'd see the parallels you have seen. I'm still looking forward to reading this though. BTW I really love your opening paragraph! :) Great review, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gone, Gone, Gone is the only Moskowitz novel I read and it blew me away. I haven't picked up her other books yet, but I doubt I'd enjoy her discussions of another novel. I haven't read Metamorphisis and just from reading your review I can tell that I'll be missing a large chunk of the metaphors and deeper meanings to this piece. Yet, I still want to give it a try. I'm going to go into this one with altered expectations for sure, but I'm too curious to pass up on this bewildering reading experience. Incredible review, Maja - so well balanced, informative, and truly very helpful. I've been hearing nothing but hype surrounding this one, so thanks for your honesty, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have to pick up a book by Moskowitz yet, so you can totally hit me on the head with a book! But I really like the sound of this book too, it's so different to the other books I've seen lying about, however I think I will have to start with Invincible Summer as that sounds like more of a me book! I'm glad you enjoyed this Maja, even though you didn't enjoy it as much as Gone Gone Gone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. gone gone gone was wooh but the character voices felt very young . i know they are 15yrs . i think . i think i should give this one a try

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh, love the start of your review, Maja! ;)

    I haven't yet read anything by Hannah Moskovitz (I know!), but I've heard nothing but endless praise for her books so I hope I can one day. While you didn't enjoy Teeth as much as Gone Gone Gone or her other novels, I'm glad you weren't overly disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read anything by Hannah and clearly that is a mistake! I love authors that have a quirky style - it makes their books all the more memorable for me. I'm thinking I need to start with Gone Gone Gone, yes? I so enjoyed reading this review Maja, thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I appreciate authors giving a nod to others that influenced them, I would have liked Moskowitz to come into her own in this story and make the allusions a nice surprise instead of beating them over the head with it. I'll have to check out Gone, Gone, Gone as now I'm curious to see what it's about and why you liked that one the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I read The Metamorphasis a long time ago, so I wouldn't have gotten the connections on my own...but I get what you mean. It would be a nice surprise for some and not totally necessary for others, so it doesn't need to be explicitely stated in the next. It sounds like a curious little book. I might have to check it out.

    I REALLY want to read Gone, Gone, Gone though.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read anything by Hannah, but I have wanted to for awhile. This book sounds like something I would pick up when I was in the mood for a quirky little read and a good laugh. Great review as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A refreshing and intriguing review, Maja! I've been wanting to read a book by Hannah for a while. I have Gone, Gone, Gone and Break - just need to move them to the top of the pile. Thanks for the insight! Have a great weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this for review and need to get to it soon. This sounds like a sad one, but I'm coming to see that's a trend with Mosokwitz's books. I'll just prepare to get my heart torn out a bit. Gone, Gone, Gone was my favorite out of her books too for the same reason you mention. I hope I end up enjoying this one as I have her other books. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your review, and I think I will go with getting hit over the head.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well I am set to read this so I will pass on getting hit over the head. I do think the author's writing style is unique, I won't be reviewing this for a couple of months and then I will be back to compare notes. You made me laugh with that opening line!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This--> "With Teeth, you have two choices: you can either read it, or someone can hit you over the head with it. The result will be the same: you will end up bewildered and wincing in pain."

    It made me grin so much, and it's just another example of why I love your reviews so much. Love your sense of humor, and love that I can trust you blindly when you say a book is awful/amazing!

    In this case, I think I'm going to pass reading it... not because the fishboy doesn't sound interesting, because he does (and I'll bet I'll even find a redeeming quality or two in him) but because the Metamorphosis. I don't much like when a book is so heavily built around another story as this one seems to be, and since Kafka was a dense read to begin with, I'm not sure at all I want to go into this.

    Thanks for sharing, though! It was a great review as usual ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This review is amazing! I feel like I have such an accurate idea of this novel now. I'm coming down on the side of 'read it' but I think I should read Gone, Gone, Gone first.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice review, Maja! I get what you mean, the continuous mentioning of other pieces of work don't give us a chance to make the connections, and that can be a big downer. Gone, Gone, Gone, is amaaaazing so I guess for me any of her other books will end up paling in comparison. :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. The plot sounds unique and weird. I like to give this book as shot. Thanks for sweet review,Maja.

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad to read a review from someone who liked this book, because I DNF it after.. 50 pages or so. I just could not connect with Teeth. He annoyed me and I couldn't wait for the story to pick up. I can definitely understand why you like it and I still like the unique sound of the plot, but I guess it wasn't a book for me :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never read anything by Hannah, but this does not seem like a Rachel book. I've never read The Metamorphosis, so all the references or parallels would be over my head and lost on me. Nice to see you enjoyed this, Maja. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never read The Metamormphosis so the influences would most likely go right over my head, (as Rachel said) but I'm sorry it lowered your comprehensive enjoyement of the book, Maja. Gone Gone Gone has received an abundance of praise and gushing reviews, (including yours!) so I'll think I'll read that one instead of Teeth. :) Incredible review, mate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. All of these things I never knew about this book AND Hannah Moscowitz...this review was packed with brand new information for me! I mean, mermen?!! How did I not know that this book had MERMEN? And Camus??? Wow. Welp, I guess I finally need to read Gone, Gone, Gone. Your intro completely cracked me up too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. From what you said, Hannah's writing sounds so amazing!! I think it's awesome that it was also funny. Lovely review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  24. The thing is, if I'd have read the book, I probably would've been annoyed at the Kafka references and the whole comparison would've gone over my head. I never had to read The Metamorphosis in school:-/ Ugh, you've read so many more classics than I have.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ha! Well, I'm not sure that I'd be much of a fan of a book that left me wincing in pain! I'm also not a fan of heavy-handed references, instead of just letting the work speak for itself, but I have to say that I really love the way you've described the author's writing. I would very much like to give her writing a try sometime. Perhaps not this one, but definitely something!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great review Maja, I love your first paragraph lol. For some reason, I thought Teeth was about zombies?? Sorry that you had some issues with this one, it doesn't really sound like it would be for me either.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, this book sounds... nothing like I expected it would be. I think I totally bypassed the summary at some point, but I can't remember my logic in that. And then I find that it's about... a fish-boy? -insert skepticism- Despite my minor judgmental wiring, you aren't the first to tell me Hannah knows how to write and that just might draw me into this book some day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. I haven't read any of Moskowitz's works but if I do, I don't think it'll be this one that I start with. I had no idea what it would be about but I figured maybe something about sharks judging from the title. A half fish boy though sounds too weird for me. Lol, I don't do strange.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great review, Maja. I had no idea what Teeth was about until now... and it sounds odd yet interesting. I haven't read The Metamorphosis so I probably wouldn't have picked up on a lot of it but I do agree that Gone Gone Gone is amazing. I want to read more books like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.