Sunday, February 26, 2012

In My Mailbox #6



No, we didn't abandon you, we just skipped a week. We've been busy, sick, busy being sick and busy taking care of others being sick. Basically, we can't wait for spring to finally come knocking on our doors and take away all bacteria... wait, I heard a thump, did Maja just faint?
So here we come again with our weekly meme, In My Mailbox, hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren.




But let's see what Maja got in her IMM this week - her words are reported because she's currently still unconscious due to mentioning of bacteria:


I came down with a flu this week (I know, TMI, right?) so I had even more time to read than usual. Luckily, my mailman was kind enough to leave many treasures in my mailbox. 
For review, I got The Repossession by Sam Hawksmoor from the lovely people at Hodder Children’s Books. I already finished that one and liked it a lot. It was about teleportation of all things, something I really hand’t expected. Come back for review in a day or two. 
I also got Unravelling by Elizabeth Norris from HarperCollins UK. I have yet to read that one, but I’m incredibly excited about it. 
And because the powerful triangle Melina Marchetta - Megan Whalen Turner - my friend Chachic said so, I got The Returning by Christine Hinwood.




I bought I’ll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan and I hope to read it soon, although I’m not sure when I’ll find the time for it. I’ve been wanting to read it for what seems like a trillion years. 
I also bought myself a copy of Split by Swati Avasthi. We talked about that book a lot here at The Library, so there’s no need to add anything just now. 
And last but certainly not least, I finally got a copy of (don’t laugh) Mash by Richard Hooker. That happens to be the funniest book I’ve ever read. I love it. I also have a crush on Hawkeye Pierce.




As for me my week is, yet again, all about contemporary YA. After the last Sarah Ockler's book, Bittersweet that I read and reviewed last week, I decided to get her other books: Fixing Delilah and Twenty Boy Summer.
I also got - and am currently reading - The Fine Art of Truth or Dare by Melissa Jensen. So far it's going pretty well.





Also, I'd like to congratulate Flannery from The Readventurer and Kimberly Lim for winning our Split's giveaway. They both chose a hardback version (the one with the red cover) of Split and I hope they will enjoy it as much as I did!


That's all for this week my friends, if life doesn't get in the way I'll be sure to see you next Sunday!


25 comments:

  1. I can see its time for you guys that spring would arrive. But I can tell you, I am one of them to :D

    And I like your IMM's. What a lovely books. I hope you would enjoy them.

    Mariska

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did someone say bacteria? *faints twice*
    Why would you do that? Why would you mention my greatest enemies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa great mailbox!!! The fine art of truth and dare I've heard it'g great!! Haven't read it yet :P Twenty boys summer is also awesome! :) And I'll be there, I just LOVE the cover!! :) :) Enjoy your books :) :) <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. You faint at the mention of bacteria, Maja? Hmm...I'll keep that in mind. ;)

    Great IMM! I can't wait to see what you think of Unravelling. I got that one too. I'm hoping it's as good as it sounds. :) Lisa, awesome haul too! I'm looking forward to your reviews of those Sarah Ockler books. I still need to get round to Bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I do, lovely lady. :)
      Well, not really, but Lisa enjoys teasing me because of my germophobia. That's her favorite pastime.

      Delete
    2. Sam, she bathes in bleach. I'll let you ponder on that :)

      Delete
  5. Yes, congratulations to MEEEEE! :) Thanks again, lovelies, for doing that awesome interview and giveaway. As for your mailbox this week, I am so excited about ALL OF IT. I started Fixing Delilah once and I was super into it but had to return it to the library so I made sure to pick up copies of that and Twenty Boy Summer. And Maja, teleporting ALL THE THINGZ? Sign me up for that! And Chachic's mentioning of The Returning did the exact same thing to me. I can't wait to nab a copy somewhere. I laughed so hard at myself because I was like, "Oh, the funniest book ever , huh? I HAVE to read this!" and then I started to write it down...and I looked at the cover...and finally realized it was MASH like M*A*S*H, like the show everyone's dad in the US loves and the M*A*S*H that I won't watch on principle because my dad's been trying to make everyone watch it for the last 20 years.

    I hope this week is more healthful and less stressful for you two! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of your books but they sound like some really nice read. Enjoy them all!

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you both feel better soon, drink lots of hot water with added ginger and lemon, I promise it will help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Fine Art of Truth or Dare looks AWESOME :) Happy reading!

    New follower
    My IMM
    My giveaway of Become and cool SWAG

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice mailbox! These books are new to me, but I hope you enjoy every single one of them!

    Here's my IMM

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You two both have a nice haul this week. :) I'm jealous you have Unraveling, and I like your cover better. I hope it's good. Oooh, more Sarah Ockler. What's this about Melina Marchetta and the book The Returning? Is she somehow involved in that book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both she and Meghan Whalen Turner (author of The Queen's Thief series) blurbed it. That's reason enough to read it, I think. :)

      Delete
    2. Have you not read Ockler's other books Vanilla Queen? :D
      That Unraveling book is looking better and better by the hour..

      Delete
  11. Oh The Reposession sounds good! And I've had 20 boy summer on my shelf for close to a year O_O I should get to that too. apparently it's super good! I'll be looking for your review to see if I should dust it off or not! :)

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome books this week guys :) Maja I've had I'll be there since the day it came out and still haven't read it. So if you ever feel bad about not picking it up straight away think of me! :)

    Lisa can't wait to see how you get on with Ockler's other books, I've read twenty boy summer, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Bittersweet and I still need to read Fixing Delilah too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa! The only thing about being sick is that you get to lie in bed and read without feeling guilty. I hope you got good rest and are feeling better.

    Congrats to Flannery. I've had Split sitting on my bookshelf forever! I need to get to reading it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are getting over the cold at our house too. The only thing worse than being sick yourself is being sick and having sick kids. I agree Spring needs to come. Some interesting books in your mailbox. I have only heard of one of them, I'll be there, I read some great reviews on that one. The rest I am going to have to look up. Have a great week ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to say the worst thing than being sick yourself is having sick kids AND sick grandparents and you having to go to work. I might pack the kids in my bag and drag them to work.

      Delete
  15. I tagged you! Can't wait to see your answers. Tagged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh honey, thanks for tagging us but what with the flu and the stomach bugs and the sickness freebies I barely can keep up with the books I plan to read.
      We don't really do awards either but thanks for thinking of us!

      Delete
  16. "And because the powerful triangle Melina Marchetta - Megan Whalen Turner - my friend Chachic said so, I got The Returning by Christine Hinwood."

    I can't believe my lowly self is included in this magical trifecta! Thank you, Maja, for putting my name right beside two favorite authors. So glad you picked up The Returning and I really hope you end up loving it more than I did. It's gotten some mixed reviews.

    Lisa, looking forward to seeing your reviews of those contemporary novels. We can never have enough excellent contemporary reads. :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you up and about! Repossession looks like a page turner. Intriguing cover art. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. What?!? You guys get sick over there? NO!!! Well, it's still crappy over here outside Detroit, Michigan so please, if Spring shows up over there, send it over here when you're done!!! I need to open my windows, too!!! My house is stuffy!!

    Nice haul again this week!! Again, Lisa, what's up with all the contemp?? You stick around in reality waaaay too much! Maja - feel better soon!!
    Kristin @myparahangover

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.