Sunday, December 18, 2011

TBR Intervention Challenge (1)

TBR Intervention Challenge is a weekly challenge hosted by Dani@RefractedLight, Anayami@Whatever You Can Still Betray and April@Books4Juliet.



Even though we're a day late, we both completed our challenges:

Lisa has finished:

Queen of Attolia is certainly a worthy sequel to The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner.
I think I enjoyed this book even more than the first one, I got to see a Eugenides I liked much more (he's still quite obnoxious, but more charmingly so) and got to know other characters I was interested in from The Thief. I still have slight problems with the pacing and this book was rather heavy on all the political intrigues, but all in all, a stunning sequel to an amazing book. Will surely pick up The King of Attolia in the neat future. Also, I'm very glad I got this book off my To-Be-Read list.
Read my full review here.









Maja has finished:


I have to admit that this wasn't my favorite book of all time. I guess I was right when I abandoned it about a year ago. I honestly thought that my tastes have changed and that I might like it this time around, but it didn't work out quite like that. To give credit where credit is due, Megan McCafferty is a skilled writer. She uses language intelligently and she is very good at coining words that are both useful and hilarious. My problem wasn't with her writing abilities at all. Just like with Melody and Harmony in Bumped, I had no love for Jessica at all. She was whiny, she spent way too much time wallowing in self-pity, and, well, mostly I wanted to throttle her to shut her up.
I doubt I'll write a review this time. I really have far more important reviews to write.






Even though we're a little late, we decided to challenge ourselves again, and we chose a book that was on both our tbr piles for a very long time. We'll read it together, and we have something very special planned in place of our reviews, but you'll have to come back in a week or so to find out more about that. Here's our choice (And don't you just love that cover?):

When her best guy friend falls victim to a vicious hate crime, sixteen-year-old Cat sets out to discover who in her small town did it. Richly atmospheric, this daring mystery mines the secrets of a tightly knit Southern community and examines the strength of will it takes to go against everyone you know in the name of justice.

Against a backdrop of poverty, clannishness, drugs, and intolerance, Myracle has crafted a harrowing coming-of-age tale couched in a deeply intelligent mystery. Smart, fearless, and compassionate, this is an unforgettable work from a beloved author.










Happy reading to you all!
Lisa and Maja

4 comments:

  1. LOL ~ i didnt really like sloppy firsts either (and i thought i was pretty much the only one...) although i do see the appeal of markus flutie (although he did not have enough page time to get me swooning).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to your full review of The Queen of Attolia, Lisa! Like I said on Goodreads, it's one of my all-time favorite books.

    Aww Maja, I'm sorry you got annoyed with Jessica Darling. I read started reading the books in college and I felt like Jessica grew up with me and my friends because we were the same age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to hear what you think of Shine!! I had mixed feelings about that one and I'm curious to see if you or Lisa have any of the same reservations about it. Can't wait to see what you have planned for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations in completing your challenges, Lisa, Maja. Though I am sorry to read that you didn't like Sloppy Firsts, Maja. I had the same feelings with a book I've read weeks ago.

    On the other hand, I look forward to your review on The Queen of Attolia, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.