Monday, September 22, 2014

Review: Resistance


Resistance (Replica, #2)Author: Jenna Black
Series: Replica, #2
Released: May 11th 2015
Publisher: Tor Teen
Lenght: 368 pages
Source: Publisher for review
Buy: Amazon

Nate Hayes is a Replica.
The real Nate was viciously murdered, but thanks to Paxco’s groundbreaking human replication technology, a duplicate was created that holds all of the personality and the memories of the original. Or...almost all. Nate’s backup didn't extend to the days preceding his murder, leaving him searching for answers about who would kill him, and why. Now, after weeks spent attempting to solve his own murder with the help of his best friend and betrothed, Nadia Lake, Nate has found the answers he was seeking...and he doesn’t like what he’s discovered.
The original Nate was killed because he knew a secret that could change everything. Thanks to Nadia’s quick thinking, the two of them hold the cards now—or think they do.
Unfortunately, neither of them fully understands just how deep the conspiracy runs.

It seems to me that this wonderful trilogy by Jenna Black isn’t getting nearly the attention it deserves. I’ve always liked her adult urban fantasy books, but I have to admit I’m enjoying her YA work even more. There are a few things that make her stand out completely and they are exactly the things I appreciate.


For one, Replica was almost completely romance-free, which allowed us to focus on more important matters like the great social injustice of Jenna Black’s world. Nate and Nadia might have been unofficially engaged since they were six years old, but a true romance between them is impossible for reasons I’d rather let you discover for yourselves. Resistance continues on the same path, with a hint of romance for Nadia this time, but nothing more than that. The priority is still their fight against the Chairman and the entire social structure he supports.

Nate and Nadia may have leverage over Nate’s father, but the Chairman isn’t without his resources, and he’s determined to make their lives miserable. Divide and conquer is his strategy when it comes to his rebellious son and his soon-to-be fiancé so he sends Nadia to a spa retread/prison and he finds a different fiancé for Nate, a silly, meek girl who doesn’t have what it takes to be the future Chairman’s wife. Nate and Nadia are pretty desperate – the change in Nadia’s status means that her reputation is ruined forever, and neither of them knows who to trust. Even Nate’s boyfriend Kurt, the boy he thought he could trust absolutely, is working for the Resistance.

I’m happy to say that Resistance doesn’t suffer from the dreaded middle book syndrome. Some very important things happen in this book, and a few jaw-dropping moments were thrown into the mix. If anything, this book is more exciting than its predecessor. The stakes are higher, the danger is greater, and both Nadia and Nate have much more to lose. Now more than ever, the lines between good and evil are blurring and its difficult for them to choose a side. The rebels may have a just cause, but their methods are questionable and their moral compass has been seriously damaged along the way, and with replicas completely out of the picture, death has become permanent and a far more frightening possibility.

The third and final book is being released in November and I for one can’t wait to get my hands on it.


A copy of this book was kindly provided by the publisher for review purpses. No considerations, monetary or otherwise, have inflluenced the opinions expressed in this review.

15 comments:

  1. I never tried her adult books, I only meant to

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure this o ne is for me because I struggle with the genre but it's interesting to see it's romance free because it's rarely the case now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree that this trilogy isn't getting nearly as enough attention as it should! Great review! I have this one, I enjoyed Replica and can't wait to read this. So glad it didn't suffer from middle book syndrome either, was worried about that. I hope there's a good summary in it bc it's been awhile since I read replica >.<

    -diamond @ Dee's Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I have been meaning to read Replica after reading many praising reviews for it a while ago. I'm glad to see that this one was just as good, Maja!

    Fantastic review as always <33

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I need a romance-free book. I definitely want to try this series out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great and it is underappreciated since I haven't really heard much about it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oo I like the sound of this one. It mustn't have gotten the attention very much because I haven't heard of this author or this series. I must admit, I must get back into more urban fantasies, YA or adult. Granted I do like a bit of romance in all of my books, but I'm not picky as to how it is written, longs everything has a place in the book and the world itself is very character driven like Nadia and Nate, well then I can't really complain. Wonderful review, Maja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for no middle book syndrome Maja! And as much as the lack of romance (for the most part) makes the romantic in me sad, I do love what you said about it allowing readers to focus on the darker, grittier aspects of the world. Definitely need to check this series out, I so adore Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This does sound like an underrated series for sure. I think I need to check it out if you love it so much Maja.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember you mentioning that you loved the first one, Maja. I need to pick it up for sure.
    I actually like that there's no romance. There's more time to focus on the plot.
    Lovely review, Maja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked the first one in this series but, like most YAs, I didn't even think of the following books! Terrible. But this one sounds good -- and yahoo for no soggy middle book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenna Black is a new-to-me author, and I'll probably start with her UF first even though you said that you like her YA better because that's just how I roll. ;) I like that this is only a trilogy, and that Resistance didn't fall into the stereotypical book 2 category.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're right, I haven't heard much about this series either. I have enjoyed more sci-fi stuff lately (ish) so I might have to pick up the first book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Darn! You found me a new trilogy to read. I have enjoyed her other series books in which I'm woefully behind. I really need to read more of her stuff and this one sounds like it is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmm, I'm very much intrigued about this trilogy and I'm gonna be checking it out on Amazon right now!
    No romance is quite appealing to me and the next and final book coming out soon is also very good, no long waits!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.