Monday, December 30, 2013

Audiobook Review: The Wanderer (Thunder Point, #1)


The Wanderer (Thunder Point, #1)Author: Robyn Carr
Narrator: Therese Plummer
Series: Thunder Point, #1
Published: March 26th 2013
Publisher: Recorded Books
Lenght: 10 hrs and 23 mins
Buy: Audible

Nestled on the Oregon coast is a small town of rocky beaches and rugged charm. Locals love the land’s unspoiled beauty. Developers see it as a potential gold mine. When newcomer Hank Cooper learns he’s been left an old friend’s entire beachfront property, he finds himself with a community’s destiny in his hands. Cooper has never been a man to settle in one place, and Thunder Point was supposed to be just another quick stop. But Cooper finds himself getting involved with the town. And with Sarah Dupre, a woman as complicated as she is beautiful. With the whole town watching for his next move, Cooper has to choose between his old life and a place full of new possibilities. A place that just might be home.
I realize this may come as a shock to some of you, but I’ve never read anything by Nora Roberts or – up until recently – Robyn Carr. However, the second winter started weighing on my mood I started looking for small-town stories with a friendly atmosphere that could keep me warm and my mood light throughout this winter. That is how I finally ended up buying a book by Carr. Intimidated by the length of her Virgin River series, I decided to go with her new series, Thunder Point instead.

I found everything I was looking for in Thunder Point, just like Hank Cooper, who came to the small town to pay respects to his recently deceased friend and eventually stayed. Thunder Point is a closely knit community, a loving and warm little town with friendly people, good food and nature to die for. Carr doesn’t hesitate to entangle us into these people’s lives; not just Cooper’s, but a whole plethora of interesting characters. Although the title implies it, Coop is not the main character, and neither is anyone else. They’re all equally important, both to Carr and to me as a reader.

One can find love in Thunder Point, friendships, supportive parents, talented teens, liberal old aunts, single fathers of three, bullies and their victims and everything else you could possibly think of. I grew most attached to Gina and Mac, two single parents and best friends. They danced tentatively around each other for years, but Mac was afraid of ruining their friendship and making things uncomfortable for their teen daughters, also best friends. Only the fear of losing Gina to someone else was big enough to make him finally take the plunge.

Therese Plummer is a surprisingly good narrator. Since most of the story is told from various male perspectives, narrating the story and handling their voices must have been pretty challenging. The timbre of her voice is elegant and extremely pleasant, even when she makes it deep for the male characters. If you decide to read this, I highly recommend the audio.

I didn’t wait a single second to go back to Thunder Point. The sequel is titled The Newcomer and it centers around all the same characters. Rejoining them already feels like coming home.

16 comments:

  1. Maja, I think this is the first time I'm seeing you review an adult contemporary book on the blog. I know Kim adores this author, but I still haven't tried anything by her. I really enjoy small-town books from time to time and I think I might give this book a shot someday. Lovely review, Maja and I hope the next books work for you as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review, Maja! I don't know if I would enjoy something like this but it sure sounds like you had a good time listening to it. To be honest, I don't often listen to audio books, reading stories is much more preferable. But I think I will try a couple out, especially contemporary novels. A soothing voice might be exactly what I need this winter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you gave her work a chance, I have heard wonderful things about it and yay for sequels that you can jump right back into that world.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing about Nora Roberts and this author I suppose is that they do know how to bring the story and they are so popular for a reason. But thing however is that after the first any other book by Nora that I've read was same old story. I'm so happy you enjoyed this one and I truly hope that the next book will bring something new to this series. Great review, Maja :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually really enjoy stories like this, set in small towns. Of course, I usually want to move to those small towns afterwords (I mean, they're filled with hot guys, right? Why not!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always wanted to try a Carr book, people love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I've read book one in the Virgin River series Maja, and I enjoyed it! Definitely a bit lengthy though, and I find the longer I blog, the more I crave books more moderate in length that I can devour quickly:) I will definitely be checking this series out, I'm such a fan of small town stories. Beautiful review as always!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of her books but I do love small town books. I use to read Nora Roberts a lot before I started blogging. I loved her witchy books the best though because it incorporated that paranormal but still had the small town feel and stuff. I'm glad you really enjoyed this book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I'm a bit more picky with my contemps, so when I see you give one such high praise, I'm very curious. I haven't read one by her either (nor Nora Roberts, but I have her on my tbr) but I do think I will pick up at least one from this series. Also might check out the audio!

    ReplyDelete
  10. really it's your first one? I've read some in French, yes because they're almost all translated but I don't know why while they have different pen name in English it's the same in French. Well, the ones I read were really good and it's always nice to read one from time to time but I haven't read this one, it's too new. I didn't even know that Robyn Carr was her other name. I think she has 3 pen names now... I'll have to check this out. thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice review! Sometimes a nice contemporary with strong characters is exactly what we need!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't normally read adult novels but I really like novels with small town settings and so will consider adding this one to my wishlist, Maja. Thanks for the recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always think of Kimba when it comes to small-town stories. Her love for them is infectious! She actually drew my attention to Robyn Carr with one of her reviews, and I've liked the sound of her warm writing and close-knit communities ever since. It's so great to see you enjoyed this one, Maja! It sounds like the perfect book to pick up in the middle of winter. I've been all over warm contemporary novels at the moment, which would definitely surprise the me from a couple of years ago. :) Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, this one sounds right up my alley! I always love a small town romance and the number of romance authors I'm enjoying has dwindled, either because they just aren't good enough for me or because I've exhausted nearly all of their works. I'll have to check this one out before the season is over for sure, though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh wow.. you know I have not read anything by Robin Carr either. I was looking at this series as my starting point, but I know Virginia River is suppose to be really good too so maybe I'll start there, not sure yet. Have not read Nora Roberts yet either, but just borrowed a book from the library by her :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am tickled this worked on audio. I adore Carr and cried when her Virgin River series ended. I do hope you travel there as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.