Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: The Madman's Daughter


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. It spotlights upcoming events that we're eagerly anticipating.

Here' my choice for this week.

Title: The Madman's Daughter
Author: Megan Shepherd
Series: The Madman's Daughter, #1
Release date: January 29th 2013
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Hardcover, 432 pages

In the darkest places, even love is deadly.
Sixteen-year-old Juliet Moreau has built a life for herself in London—working as a maid, attending church on Sundays, and trying not to think about the scandal that ruined her life. After all, no one ever proved the rumors about her father's gruesome experiments. But when she learns he is alive and continuing his work on a remote tropical island, she is determined to find out if the accusations are true.

Accompanied by her father's handsome young assistant, Montgomery, and an enigmatic castaway, Edward—both of whom she is deeply drawn to—Juliet travels to the island, only to discover the depths of her father's madness: He has experimented on animals so that they resemble, speak, and behave as humans. And worse, one of the creatures has turned violent and is killing the island's inhabitants. Torn between horror and scientific curiosity, Juliet knows she must end her father's dangerous experiments and escape her jungle prison before it's too late. Yet as the island falls into chaos, she discovers the extent of her father's genius—and madness—in her own blood.

Inspired by H. G. Wells's classic The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Madman's Daughter is a dark and breathless Gothic thriller about the secrets we'll do anything to know and the truths we'll go to any lengths to protect.

Doesn't this sound absolutely fantastic? It's fortunate that it's being released soon or I would probably go insane. It doesn't help that the cover is so gorgeous - it makes me want to step in and stand right there beside her. I'll admit that the obvious love triangle worries me a bit, but I won't know how bad it is until I read it. 
What are you excited about this week? Leave me a link and I'll be there.


28 comments:

  1. Dying for this too! Love books involving experiments! Plus I love The Island of Doctor Moreau!
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this cover around but this is the first time I'm reading the blurb and holly...I want it! Like now :) Thanks for sharing in and stopping by :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. eR...I hope there is no love triangle in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I'm a bit wary of the love triangle; but, I can't wait to read it either. There are sooo many books with the potential to be great being released in January!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait for this either, it's sounds really eerie and cool. Love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh this does sound good! Been seeing it around lately as well as on Netgalley!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one that I can't wait for either... Nice choice.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I would like to read this. It sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    My Wow

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do love the cover on this one too, Maja. I noticed Sam is reading this and liking it. The premise does sound wonderful, hopefully the love triangle won't be too frustrating. Great choice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really glad this one is being released soon too Maja, the wait has been painful! I'm with you in worrying over the obvious love triangle setup, but I'm hoping it will turn into a situation like Death and the Girl Next Door where a love triangle seemed inevitable based on the blurb and then turned into a non-issue in the book:) *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait for this one! It sounds sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just started this one and like it so far, though I too am a little disappointed to know there is a love triangle. A friend reassured me that it isn't so bad though, but we'll see. :)

    Great pick, Maja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm looking forward to this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, I'm really excited for this one too! I have a copy actually, and I can't wait to start it. Great picks!

    Stop by my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome pick, Maja! I'm waiting on this one, too! Happy reading :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm super excited for this one too! I have high hopes so I'm hoping it lives up to them. :) Great pick, Maja.
    My Wow Pick!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am anxiously waiting for this book! Great pick, Maja =D

    Here's my WoW!

    Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yessss, I'm so excited for this one! It sounds awesome.

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got this one from Edelweiss and I'm so stoked to start it! It seems like such an interesting read. I have to admit though that the love triangle does worry me too a little! Hopefully, it's going to be one of those love triangles that I can tolerate!
    Great pick, Maja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh this book just sends chills up my spine, I'm normally drawn to gothic thrillers, but this book sounds too good to pass up on! Brilliant pick Maja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd really love to see more book summaries that don't go with the whole love triangle shtick to entice people. It mostly turns me off a book...

    But this does sound quite fascinating! I think my sister would love it too, which is a plus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, this one sounds absolutely awesome! The only thing I'm a little hesitant about it what seems like a love triangle in the works. Still, the concept sounds fascinating! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

    Also, I haven't talked to you in forever, Maja! Hope everything's going well with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hopefully this book has one of those satisfactory love triangles. Fantastic pick Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think I'll want to read Wells' The Island of Dr. Moreau first, but then I'd definitely be interested in reading this retelling. I love retellings, so this will definitely make its way to my TBR list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. HIII MAJAAAA!!!!!!!!! How are you?? Miss me? :P Sorry I've been kinda absent lately- I was on a short blogging break but I'm back and WOW I forgot you had a blog makeover so when I saw your blog I was so shocked but then I remembered. :P Eh sorry for the rambling. OMG I love the sound of this book! So gothic and dark but really fascinating. I agree, the cover is stunning. UHHH No not a love triangle!!!!!!! That definitely kind of puts me off the book but I think I'm still gonna give it a go. :) Great WoW pick as always, Maja! Missed you <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. New follower here..your blog is so prettY! :D

    This one is definitely on my to-read list for next year, too! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yesss. Best pick <3 I got accepted for this on Edelweiss :D And it is amazing. Just so you know. The love triangle thing is a bit annoying, but it's not that bad, as I still gave it a five star, and I despise love triangles :) lol. Anyway. I hope you'll love this book when you get to read it :D
    Thank you for commenting on my WoW. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yeah!! So excited to read this! I love gothic horror and this one sounds like a good one. I agree that I could do without the love triangle though...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.