Saturday, November 17, 2012

Review: Eyes to See (Jeremiah Hunt, #1)


Eyes to See (Jeremiah Hunt, #1)Author: Joseph Nassise
Series: Jeremiah Hunt, #1
Published: October 11th 2011
Publisher: Tor
Source: Publisher for review
Buy: The Book Depository


There’s nothing I love more than dark, gritty urban fantasy, and man, does Joseph Nassise know how to write it! I can’t even remember the last time I enjoyed UF this much.

A man’s daughter disappears right from under his nose. He spends the next few years desperately looking for her, losing his wife and his job in the process. As the years go by and his search remains without results, his methods become increasingly desperate. Left with no other options, he performs an arcane ritual which takes away his eyesight, but gives him the ability to see the spirit world. He occasionally assists the police with some particularly difficult investigations in exchange for information about his daughter’s case.
Parents experience a unique kind of fear. It is at once more visceral and more paralyzing than any other fear, a cold, clammy hand that squeezes your heart until your very blood starts to drip from between its fingers. It invades your mind like an alien presence, disrupts your thought process and ratchets your emotions right of the scale, until you can’t possibly think straight and every second is an eternity, an eternity where all you can do is think about all of the terrible things that could have happened to your precious child.

Jeremiah Hunt is a character of unusual complexity. To a reader, the pain Hunt feels over losing his daughter is far more terrifying than any ghost, fetch, witch or beserker he comes across. This is where Nassise truly impressed me. Every few chapters we’d get to jump back to those days around Elizabeth’s disappearance and see Hunt as he was then: a successful Harvard scholar with a nice house and a beautiful wife. Making the jump back to current events and Hunt as he is now was shocking every time, especially at the beginning, before the entire process was revealed. Of course, as the reader is offered more chapters about Hunt’s increasingly desperate search, his choices become more clear and understandable, but never easier to handle.

I really liked Hunt’s only two allies (if you don’t count Whisper and Scream, his ghostly assistants), Denise Clearwater and Dmitri. They are exactly the kind of people someone like Hunt needs: used to not asking a lot of questions and unwilling to answer more than strictly necessary, but willing to make sacrifices for a good enough cause. And if they do seem unusually loyal for relatively new acquaintances, it's because they aren't really loyal to Hunt himself, but to the Gifted community as a whole.

Readers who enjoy romance above all else might find themselves a bit disappointed, though. Hunt isn’t exactly interested in women, and although there’s some real attraction between him and Denise Clearwater, he is simply to obsessed with his search for Elizabeth to act on it, or even to give it much thought.

Eyes to See doesn’t end with a cliffhange but enough things were left open to make me eager to read the sequel, King of the Dead, as soon as I can. Luckily (and thanks to the lovely people at Tor), I have it right here. To conclude, I’ll just quote Seanan McGuire straight from the cover: “Make time for this one.”



19 comments:

  1. You know, I actually think it makes sense for there to be little or no romance in this. That's probably the last thing to focus on when a loved one disappears. Great review, Maja! I don't think I've ever come across this book before (and I'm sure I would have remembered it with that stunning cover!) but you make it sound well worth the read. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I've never heard of this book! It sounds totally worth checking out, though. Hunt sounds like a phenomenal character! Awesome review, Maja (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Eyes to See..you are my next book buy! Wow, just wow..I love gritty dark suspense and while I like a side of romance..it doesn't need to be present. I actually find with UF series that it takes several books for the love interest to progress. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maja, you just keep making my TBR-Pile grow higher and higher. Gosh, I'm SO glad you enjoyed this one! I would never have picked it up off the shelves, but it sounds fantastic! I'm also interested to read an UF written by a guy, so it should be intriguing to see the differences - I'm already glad to hear that there's less of a focus on romance. Wonderful review, dear! I'll have to check this one out at once! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds amazing and I'm not a big UF reader (as you know)! I love mysteries, so I would constantly be wondering what happened to Elizabeth. I'm guessing you don't find out and things continue in book 2. Little disappointed about the romance part, as if you couldn't guess that, lol. You're always tempting me intriguing UFs, Maja.

    Btw, I finished the first Charley Davidson and loved it. I need to get the second one ASAP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great, Maja! I love the quote you included - it is spot on! I definitely want to pick this one up. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing review. I totally want to get this book!
    I'm a new follower and I love your blog! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome review Maja!!!! Never heard of this book before, thanks for the into!
    This sounds like an amazing story of a self=less and brave father! I'm glad this book shows well what Hunt was like before elizabeth's disappearance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't ever heard of the author or book but I know you're the one to come to for good UF recommendations. I think it's good that for a change there is little romance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOH, I'm excited to read this one now! I just got it last week, Maja :) Brilliant review! Also I've noticed you're reading Boneshaker.. I've just finished it and really liked it. Not as elaborate as many other steampunk novels but so very good nevertheless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It will be refreshing to read a book that isn't filled with romance! Sometimes, the romance doesn't fill any purpose in the story. I like the dark sound of this book. I haven't heard of it before, but I've added it to my GR never-ending list!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I won this book from a blog... I'm not a fan of the scary cover but what interest me is the plot. Another lovely review, Maja :D

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  13. i wanted to read the book ever since i saw it early this year . gr8 review

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whoa! That's one intense premise. Heroes who loose a kid have been through the toughest situation life can throw at them, I think... Jeremiah must be one hell of a character, in all the good ways, if he's managed to pull off conveying the feeling.

    You know I love UF, Maja... I also like my romance, but hey, look at Harry Dresden! Nine books later and still single. I think I'm going to add this one to my pile. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not a big UF fan possibly because most of the UF novels I see featured tend to have a big romantic component. I love romance but for some reason don't really enjoy it in that genre. Weird, I know! Anyway, I think I'd like to give this one a try, Maja, because you mentioned that it doesn't have a huge romantic component.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, doesn't this look interesting? I love the creepy vibe that the cover gives off. This novel looks like a great urban fantasy, although I don't actually read UF. Maybe because i have never found one that interests me enough to try it. This one is definitely added to my TBR.
    GREAT review, Maja
    Your constant reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Every parent's nightmare. So scary. I don't think I could read a book like this. Probably too much realism for me. I'm not surprised to hear there's no romance in this because I would expect it to be the last thing on a parents mind knowing their child was out there somewhere and wondering what was happening to them. Great review as usual Maja

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh, I'm glad to see that you liked this one since I have a review copy coming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yep, I agree. I even liked the second one better. There is a touch more romance in that one. :) So glad you enjoyed this one as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.