Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Blood Rights (House of Comarré, #1)

Blood Rights (House of Comarré, #1)Blood Rights by Kristen Painter

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


She had more signum than just what was on her hands, feet and face. The lacy gold mapped her entire body. A finely wrought filigree of stars, vines, flowers, butterflies, ancient symbols, and words ran from her feet, up her legs, over her narrow waist, spanned her chest, and finished down her arms to the tips of her fingers. Gilded, head to toe. No wonder she glittered like lost treasure.

Not just a pretty cover after all. I didn’t even wait to finish Blood Rights before ordering the second and the third book from The Book Depository. I only needed to read the first 20% to know without a doubt that this is a series I’ll love.

Chrysabelle is not an ordinary human. Her whole body is covered in gold tattoos and at 115, she looks no more than 20 years old. She’s a comarré, a human hybrid born and bred for one sole purpose: to feed a noble vampire. A comarré’s body produces more blood than it needs, so every comarré needs to be fed from regularly or they develop hypervolemia. Their blood rights are sold to a noble and nobody else gets to feed from them as long as their Master lives. In return, vampire saliva gives the comarré super-human strength and eternal youth. But Chrysabelle is special even among her own kind. Her blood rights were sold to Lord Algernon, Dominus of the House of Tepes, for 22 million Euro, the highest price any comarré has ever achieved. She spent almost a hundred years in Algernon’s house, until one day her Master got killed by a weapon only a comarré can wield. Instead of enjoying her freedom after 100 years of servitude, Chrysabelle must leave Corvinestri and travel to Paradise City in order to try and clear her name.

Even in Paradise City, Chrysabelle has no one to turn to but Mal, the only vampire in the world who wants nothing to do with her. Mal used to be a noble vampire of great power, one of the strongest in the House of Tepes, but he became anathema after being cursed for the second time. Because of his curse, every person he sinks his fangs into must die, and those he kills end up living inside his head, haunting him forever. His body is covered with names of his victims. To avoid adding another voice to the constant noise in his head, he wants to stay as far away from Chrysabelle as possible, no matter how hungry he is or how good her blood smells to him. However, Chrysabelle offers to help him lift his curse, and that’s the only thing Mal cannot refuse.

You judge me while you have no idea what it’s like. My head is never quiet. Never. You try spending just twenty-four hours without a moment’s privacy and see if it doesn’t make you a little crazy. I live that every day and night.

Some described Blood Rights as being halfway between urban fantasy and paranormal romance, but I have to disagree. This is urban fantasy in its purest form. Sure, we have a strong heroine and a strong hero and they DO work together, but the focus is not on will-they-won’t-they at all, at least I didn’t see it that way. The worldbuilding is far too good for paranormal romance: I loved the combination of old vampire traditions and the technology one could expect in the year 2067. Supporting characters are also fantastic. Tatiana is one of the best villains in urban fantasy as far as I’m concerned, and Mal’s companions, Fi and Doc, are so interesting that they deserve their own trilogy.

I can’t wait to read Flesh and Blood, I really can’t.

8 comments:

  1. love the cover..great review..adding this one to my pile:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. I haven't read this yet but I am familiar with the cover. It sounds like a really good book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review!! I can't wait to see what you think of the next one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comarré reminds me of the Chosen in Black Dagger Brotherhood because they also offer their blood. They are not sold, though but called upon whenever one of the Brotherhood will need blood. Love your review! I'd definitely add this to my wishlist. :)


    Sarah @ Smitten over Books

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, this sounds fantastic! Definitely adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, guys.

    Sarah, yes, I guess that's true. Except that Chosen didn't feed one vampire exclusively and they weren't sold. But the general idea is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you liked this one, I've read a lot of mixed review. I've it in my TBR pile but still haven't read it yet, I really need to. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got it from NetGalley but it expired before I could read it :'( Darn you, expiration dates!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.