Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Review:Hot Blooded( Jessica McClain,#2)


Hot Blooded (Jessica McClain, #2)Author: Amanda Carlson
Series: Jessica McClain, #2
Release date: April 23rd 2013
Publisher: Orbit
Paperback, 320 pages
Source: Publisher for review
Buy: The Book Depository

It hasn't been the best week for Jessica McClain.
Her mate has been kidnapped by a Goddess hell-bent on revenge --- but Jessica is playing for keeps.
Because she's the only female werewolf in town...it comes with its own set of rules...and powers.
Aided by two vamps, two loyal Pack members, and one very reluctant human, Jessica must rescue her man while coming to terms with what being a wolf really means.
All in a day's work for a girl.
The second novel in the Jessica McClain series is a full on action adventure featuring one angry Goddess and plenty of monsters, demons, and a few newly risen beasties...

Jessica McClain is the only female werewolf in existence. She is also the strongest, fastest and most powerful among werewolves. Not even her father, the strongest Alpha, can force her to obey him if she doesn’t do it willingly. Her first change was met with hostility and anger since it was prophesied that a female werewolf would destroy their entire race. According to a different prophecy, she'll be the one to bring ballance to the supernatural community.

But Jessica doesn’t want to rule the werewolves or bring balance to the supernatural world, no matter what the prophecies say. In truth, she just wants to be left alone to run her small PI business, but it simply isn’t in the cards. In Hot Blooded, the second book in the series, her pack finds itself in the middle of a war, and Jessica has to abandon them all to save her mate from an evil goddess bent on revenge.

In the first book, worldbuilding was a bit neglected in favor of character development, but in Hot Blooded, Carlson more than made up for it. The second part was especially interesting in that regard – Jessica and her friends had to fight all kinds of mythological creatures to get to Rourke, each of them more fascinating than the last.

Hot Blooded is full of heart-pounding action. To save her mate from the evil goddess Selene, Jessica has to fight her way through a forest full of traps from the underworld, but she’s more than up to the task. She’s not just incredibly strong and resistant to hostile magic, she is also quick witted and kind, always ready to risk her life to save someone else. Carlson found a perfect balance for her main character – she made her stubborn and strong, but also compassionate and thoughtful.

Unfortunately, romance is where Hot Blooded fell a tiny bit short. In Full Blooded, Jessica and Rourke discovered their mating bond, but before they had a chance to talk about it, let alone do something more than that, Rourke was taken and Jessica forced to move heaven and earth to save him. He ended up being absent through most of this book, and while I adored both he and Jessica separately, I simply wasn’t invested in their romance as much as I should have been. Hopefully, that will change in Cold Blooded. Carlson is a skilled enough author to make me forget all about it and I already think Rourke is perfect for Jess. I just need to see how well they work together.

Carlson’s secondary characters are extraordinary. I am emotionally attached to every one of them, especially Tyler and Danny. She really took the time to flesh out Jessica's entire inner circle. Her take on vampires was also very enjoyable. While it wasn’t the most original, she at least made their rules fascinating to read about.

I honestly think every urban fantasy fan should give this series a chance, and even those who don’t read much UF would probably find it very easy to read.

19 comments:

  1. This sounds good, even though I am moving away from pnr reads, I don't mind them when they're good examples.

    Previously I thought I didn't mind when a romance was absent but I just read Scent of Magic and the main romantic characters were separated for most of the story and it definitely had an impact on my enjoyment of the book, so I totally get how you feel about the lack of romance here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of this series before, probably because I'm really not into werewolf stuff but this I find very interesting. The main character sounds like a kick-ass one and this seems to have a lot of action stuff which I really like. It's a bit sad though that the romance was a little absent here but maybe on the next book there'd be a lot more. Thanks for sharing this brilliant review, Maja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *really* enjoyed this one! Jessica's a great character, so full of passion and yet not sure of herself or her powers yet. She grew into herself quite a bit this time around. And I loved the creepy creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now now some good UF I see! You shall be my UF guru! :D So I can meet this genre better. I haven't heard of this series and I see your enjoyed both books. I hope I'll get to read it someday :) Great review Maja :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds interesting, but I'm not so sure it's for me. Just because I'm not a UF fan. But Jessica sounds like a cool character, and I adore books about prophecy! Maybe I'll give this one a shot. (: Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a little bummed about the romance in this one and the fact that they're separated for most of the book, especially since they were so prominent in the first book, but other than that this second installments sounds awesome. I'm glad more attention was given to the world building, so now you have really fleshed out characters in a complex and well thought-out world. Gorgeous review per usual Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admit I don't read a lot of books about weres but this series sounds really good. I am going to have to look into the first book.

    A little sad the romance isn't all there in this one but it sounds like everything else more than makes up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to read this series. I'm glad the world building is better in this than the first book but I'm also glad the author spent time on the characters in book one. Great review Maja :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I put this series on my TBR after reading a review of Full Blooded (probably here :D), so I'm definitely going to get to this one eventually. I'm excited to hear there's a lot of focus on characters in book one (SO important to me), and that the world-building gets better as the story progresses in book two. I'm even more excited to start these books now. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Full Blooded is on my TBR! Glad to hear you're enjoying this series so much. Will definitely be giving this one a shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I first looked at the cover, I thought to myself, "what's going on here? The heroine seems so eager to kill..." I guess Jessica was furious that Rourke was taken. Thanks for introducing me to the series! I haven't heard of the books and I like stories that have heart-pounding action :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually read a review for the first book in this series just yesterday, so I'm thrilled the second book is just as good too. As a huge fan of UF and werewolves, I'll be checking this out for sure. After, of course, I finish MT and start October Daye... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed this one as well, but was so disappointed in the lack of romance as well. I was so all geared up for the Rourke! Still, it made sense why there wasn't any... yet. :D I'm hoping for it in the next book as well. Also, Danny... how fun was he? :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've actually got the first book in this series, but I kind of overlooked it and didn't think it would be my sort of read. But Hot Blooded definitely sounds like something that I would like with its brilliant world building and strong secondary characters! Wonderful review Maja, you are always so easily able to convince me of giving a book a try! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was thrilled with this one! I loved what Jessica had to go through, learn about herself, and so much more. It opens up the world greatly for so much to come. I know Jessica wasn't with Rourke and everyone wants the romance, but I think Jessica needed this book to come into her own. :) I'm so in love with this series. LOL! So glad you enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't heard of this series yet. I don't know why that surprises me seeing I generally stay away from UF. I hope this series gets better and better for you, Maja. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Even though you weren't entirely invested in the romance, I'm glad you enjoyed this one overall. I really like the sound of it! I can't actually remember the last time I read a book that featured werewolves. It's probably about time then that I jumped on a series like this. :) Great review as always.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love when an author does a good job fleshing out the secondary characters. And actually I don't think I'd mind the lack of world building in the first one, because for me I tend to like to get to know the characters first. As long as it's not boring... and since the world is more thoroughly developed in this second book. I'll have to consider reading this series one of these days. Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Even though there's a reason for the instalove in this case, it's still not really going to work emotionally without giving us some time to care about their bond. From the reader's perspective, they might seem better off kept apart, like maybe they can overcome their biological bond. I'm glad everything else was good for you. I was on the fence about continuing this series, but I think I will!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.