Friday, July 8, 2016

Audiobook Review: The Homecoming


The Homecoming (Thunder Point, #6)
Author: Robyn Carr
Narrator: Therese Plummer
Series: Thunder Point, #6
Publisher: Recorded Books
Released: August 26th 2014
Length: 9 hrs and 43 mins
Buy: Audible

At the age of 19, Seth Sileski had everything. A superb athlete and scholar, handsome and popular, he was the pride of Thunder Point. Destined for greatness, he lost it all in a terrible accident that put an end to his professional football career when it had barely begun. The people in his hometown have never forgotten what might have been. Seth has come to terms with the turns his life has taken. But now he's been presented with an opportunity to return home and show his father—and the people of Thunder Point—he's become a better, humbler version of his former self. Winning over his father isn't the only challenge. Seth must also find a way to convince his childhood neighbor and best friend, Iris McKinley, to forgive him for breaking her heart. With his homecoming, will Seth be able to convince the town, his family, and especially Iris that he's finally ready to be the man who will make them all proud?

Robyn Carr’s books are a perfect way to relax during hot summer days. When you add the wonderful narration by the amazing Therese Plummer, you get a book that is undemanding, but interesting enough to follow you anywhere. I’ve been jumping back and forth through this series, which is something I never do, but whichever installment I choose, fun and romance is pretty much guaranteed.
Seth and Iris have been best friends since childhood, despite their often diverging paths. They understood each other and supported each other through everything, until Seth ruined it all during their senior year in high school. For 17 years after that, the two have been cordial at best, and even though Seth had repeatedly tried to fix what was wrong between them, Iris wouldn’t let him come close. Now that Seth is back in Thunder Point, though, Iris has little choice but to give him a chance to show how much he’s changed. We get to watch them find their footing again, restart a tentative friendship that can, and definitely will grow to become something more.

As usual, everything about Thunder Point is warm and familiar. We see some of our previous heroes and heroines live their happy lives and we also get hints of those that are yet to come. Carr incorporates a few secondary storylines through Iris’ job as a high school counselor and Seth’s job as the town’s deputy sheriff. There are old flames, new friends, a touch of conflict and some resentment within Seth’s family that needs to be resolved. The whole atmosphere feels much like coming home after a long absence, and it’s my very favorite thing about this series.

I already mentioned Therese Plummer’s perfect narration, but it bears repeating. She is most memorable for her excellent male voices and her light-hearted tone that matches the mood in these books perfectly. She makes 10 hours fly by and I could probably listen to her for days on end. The very best narrators add something to the story, and Plummer is definitely one of them.

I have yet to read Robyn Carr’s Virgin River series, but I have no doubt I’ll enjoy it just as much, if not more than Thunder Point. For now, I have scheduled one more return to my favorite small town and I already know it’s going to be pleasant.




7 comments:

  1. Well, clearly a good narrator can do wonders for a book! And it seems like these are really a good option for summer books to listen to instead of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the bookstore I know customers love her books. They fly off the shelves and have had several rave to me about how much they love her. Maybe I should try her on audio though. I'm not a big 'romance' reader but I think the other elements will make it more to my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me want to pick up a random audiobook by her and just sink into the narration. You know I love that you can skip around in a series not that I do that or anything... *cough* :) Brilly review!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this series, but I am always on the lookout for an incredible audiobook! This does sound like a good summer read! Great review :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh undemanding books. I so need those these days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to try this series one day. Too bad it's not as good as the others

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.