Friday, July 10, 2015

#GayIsOk Campaign

In the four years since I started The Nocturnal Library, I've written about some lighthearted topics and some very difficult ones, but none have been as important to me or as close to my heart as the one I'm writing about today.

I am (and always have been) a very determined LGBTQAI ally. It's one of the things I feel most strongly about. We've come a long way, but there's still so much to be done. Being gay is illegal (yes, ILLEGAL) in no less than 75 countries, and in some of them, it's even illegal not to report someone else who happens to be gay. Simply knowing that a family member or friend is gay and not turing them in can get you a one-way ticket to prison. The very idea is heart-wrenching and, quite frankly, despicable.


That's exactly what Lush Cosmetics and All Out Campaign want to bring to our attention. We've won several battles, but the war is far from being over. Basic human rights are still a distant dream in a huge part of the world, and today, we can all do a little something about it.

You see, Lush has this awesome new Love soap, fruity and glittery and all those other fabulous things. You can buy it in most Lush stores or you can easily order it online (I did that, and they were fast and very kind). All of the proceeds from selling this soap will go to Lush's Love Fund, which will then be distributed to various well-established charities focused on LGBT rights around the world.

Here, I'll show you mine, and you show me yours. Fair is fair, right?



I love that Human Rights Campaign recognized that some people face difficulties when coming out as LGBT allies. Just clearly stating what you believe in isn't always easy for everyone. Whatever your role in this fight, or even if you have no other role except cheering from your reading chair, being clear about your beliefs might just help someone along the way. If you want to know more about what you can do or how to come out as a supporter, visit Human Rights Campaign and read their excellent brochures.

As for the soap itself, you can get one for about $5 at https://www.lush.com/. Select your country and go from there. And please make sure to tell the world why you think #GayIsOk.

I love you, guys. Simple as that.




14 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! I'll have to post something about this over at my Let's Get Beyond Tolerance blog (www.letsgetbeyondtolerance.blogspot.com). Great campaign, and this is a cause that I'm a strong supporter of too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it to Gayls. Better put my glasses on ;)

    I read this interesting book the other day. Two timelines. One gays did get better rights, cos it was more like our world. The other one, now even in what is no good countries :/

    So at least we are getting somewhere. While other countries takes a step back. Looking at you neighbor to my east

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are so passionate about this Maja!

    Have a wonderful weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to buy this soap for my new apartment! Being an ally has always been important to me, because equal human rights ARE important for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful and passionate post, Maja! I love that Lush is releasing this campaign. I already love their products, but this only makes me want to buy more.
    Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE THIS MAJA!!!! We've definitely come a long way recently and had some major victories, but like you said, there's still a very long way to go. Thanks so much for the info on this campaign:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. Yes, it's unbelievable that there are still so many places where being gay is an actual crime... I love the idea of the campaign. And the little soaps are so darling! :D Well done, Maja - very inspiring <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a thoughtful and beautiful post, Maja. You are right, the fight is ongoing. Even though Gay Marriage is now legal, there are still so many spouting off hateful things. I just finished reading ( a little late I know) Every Day by David Levithan. Such a beautiful book and perfect for the climate because love is love no matter the race, gender or whatever. Thanks for sharing your post, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful, wonderful post. I'll definitely be buying on of these. I really like Lush to begin with, for their focus on the environment, animals and a living wage, and this is just one more reason to support. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful! You, this post, not the soap... although that is pretty as well. :) I cannot believe that it took the USA SO long to approve gay marriage (so now it is all marriage). Hm.. I wrote more but deleted it. I was getting all soap boxy. :) What you said is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post! Living in Croatia and just listening what a big majority of people have to say on this topic angers me and mostly saddens me, so it is just beautiful to read posts like this. Thank you for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a supporter too! People should be free to choose who they love. It's simple as that.

    Awesome post Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely, 100% agree with you. We've come a long way but we still have a long path ahead of us before we get to the point where LGBTQIA+ people are accepted all around the globe. I love this Lush campaign and hope that many wonderful things result from it!

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.