Monday, December 31, 2012

Review: Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (Eon, #1)


Eon (Eon, #1)Author: Alison Goodman
Series: Eon, #1
Published: August 31st 2010
Publisher: Firebird
Paperback, 531 pages
Buy: The Book Depository



I have a feeling I will be telling my grandchildren long stories about my struggles with this book. Eon (both the book and the character) did not make it easy for me to like them, oh no. Instead, I constantly had to battle my desire to abandon them in favor of something easier to read, or a more likable heroine at the very least.

Sometimes, when a book is extremely popular and well-loved by everyone in the known universe and possibly beyond, I dig in my heels and simply refuse to read it for no good reason. This was the case with Eon – it has been sitting on my shelf for ages*, and the more people talked about it, the more reluctant I was to read it. So I kept postponing it over and over again until it became just another book on my to-read list I stopped noticing altogether. It probably would have stayed there were it not for my friend Catie who Made Me Do It over at The Readventurer. The challenge was just the push I needed; this isn’t a book that should be missed.

However, to say that it wasn’t what I expected would be an understatement. I honestly thought it would be more juvenile and with everyone talking about Eona, I thought she would be a character to admire. Boy was I ever wrong.

Eona’s only way out of salt farms and abject poverty is to learn Dragon Magic and become the next Dragoneye apprentice, but girls aren’t allowed to even enter the selection, which is why she’s spent the last four years living as a boy. The only person who knows the truth is her Master and teacher, a former Dragoneye, and the secret could easily kill them both. When the sword ceremony doesn’t go as planned and Eon ends up in the middle of dangerous Imperial games and with powerful enemies to boot, the secret becomes much bigger, and the stakes much higher. Suddenly, destiny of an entire empire rests on Eon’s shoulders.

The double nature of Eon/Eona does not end with gender alone. He (and I’ll stick with he here because he was consistently male until the very end) is a character built on contradictions, so much so that it makes him hard to describe. His ability to live a double life, especially in spotlight where every wrong move means a certain death, speaks of great bravery and prowess. And yet, when his goals were accomplished (and then some), said bravery quickly turned into outright cowardice under pressure.


"I did not understand this idea of equality. There was rank even amongst slaves; it was the nature of men."


What saved this book for me (and what could save any book for me) is the extremely intricate worldbuilding. A gorgeous blend of Eastern cultures, Eon’s world is cruel but captivating, exhilarating and rich in detail. It can be a bit too overwhelming at times but I am very patient with worldbuilding which made Dragoneye Reborn a perfect read for me, at least in one very important way.

In truth, secondary characters were far more interesting than Eon himself. The enlightened, almost kind Emperor won me over quickly, as did the rest of his family, not to mention Lady Dela, a woman in a man’s body, and her faithful bodyguard, eunuch Ryko. Romance is sparse in Eon, but hints of a relationship between these two, however improbable it may seem, more than made up for it. Watching them dance around each other and their feelings for each other was sweet and strange and exhilarating and entirely unforgettable.

Based on the reviews I’ve read so far, Eona is a far better read than its predecessor, and I am very much looking forward to it. While I didn’t much care for the heroine herself, there are many characters whose fates I absolutely have to learn.


* Hah! See? I didn’t write “eons”, I am VERY mature.



28 comments:

  1. Heh, I laughed at your note at the end ;)

    I haven't felt much need to read this but I do understand how you feel about books that are getting rave reviews, I try to put them off too, sometimes it's worth it and other times I miss out on a good read.

    I don't know if I'd read this because I do prefer a likeable/relatable MC but excellent world building is also a good aspect.

    Wonderful review, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tnx 4 the review . i;ll ponder over it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Happy new year's eve Maja! I was hoping that you'd like this more than I did but it turns out we had pretty similar feelings so there's that at least. To be honest, I didn't like Eona as much as this one but I think it might work for you. Thanks so much for "doing it" with us.

    Hehehe...we're all very mature over at The Readventurer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Happy new year's eve Maja! I was hoping that you'd like this more than I did but it turns out we had pretty similar feelings so there's that at least. To be honest, I didn't like Eona as much as this one but I think it might work for you. Thanks so much for "doing it" with us.

    Hehehe...we're all very mature over at The Readventurer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only read a few high fantasies a year, and usually like you it's the world building i am drawn too. Sorry you struggled with this one, but so appreciate your honest thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one book that I've been meaning to read, but something kept pushing me away from it. Maybe it's the book's popularity that repelled me from it. I think it's really interesting how you described the main character as a he since that's what she truly was. It's too bad that you didn't care much for her though. I think it's important for me to connect with the MC in a high-fantasy book so I don't know how this one will work out for me. I'm glad to hear that the world-building is strong though!
    Lovely review, Maja! Maybe one of these days I'll give this book a shot!

    Happy New Year! :) I hope 2013 brings tons of happiness, Maja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw shucks. I just added this series to MUST READ in 2013. Truth be told, the book looks daunting. Thanks for the insight, Maja.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This book is also on my tbr for ages. I added it because I like fantasy in Eastern setting, but I keep postponing reading it. Honestly, your book does not make me want to go run & read it. But thanks for being honest, I'll wait until I am in a good mood to start this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, this is pretty strange.
    A girl acting as a boy, and you used to describe her as a he. That's intriguing. I am adding this to my TBR.
    GREAT review, maja, happy new year!
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Sometimes, when a book is extremely popular and well-loved by everyone in the known universe and possibly beyond, I dig in my heels and simply refuse to read it for no good reason."

    YES! This is exactly what I've been doing with Graceling. Everyone has told me I HAVE to read that book, and for some reason, every time someone does, it slides further down my list. I have no idea why. I could fall madly in love with it. But I fear the opposite and I don't want to struggle with it as you did with this one:( The world building does sound awesome, and I'll be interested to see if you do in fact like Eona better than this book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hrm...I had similar issues with Stormdancer which you absolutely loved but I slogged through it. I'm curious as to why the author stuck with "he" for almost all of the novel. I'm also wondering how well the author was able to combine so many Eastern cultures. Not sure of picking this one due its size and your 3.5 rating but I'll put it in my maybe pile.

    p.s. I hope you're loving Vessel! I simply adored it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this more, Maja! I do understand your qualms with this one, though, so maybe you'll have better luck with the sequel. It takes awhile to get into, but I wound up loving it. (Then again, I love practically anything with dragons...). Still, I'm thrilled you loved the world-building in this one - it was phenomenal - and the secondary characters who definitely play a bigger role in the sequel. Amazing review, dearest, and Happy New Year! I wish you the best this upcoming year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, I've been wanting to read this book for a while, but I keep forgetting about it. I love that you say it's less juvenile than you expected, because that can be a problem for me with YA fantasy. And reading a book about Eastern cultures would be a nice change. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know what you mean about everyone talking about this one! It's been on my to-read list for ages! I'm curious to see how I'll feel about it after reading your review. Generally...our opinions aren't all that far off from one another. Anyways, thanks for sharing your thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard so many good things about this one too, but I still haven't read it because I was worried it wouldn't live up to the hype. It's nice to what you struggled with Maja as it gave me a better sense of what to expect from the book. The premise reminds me of Tamora Pierce's - I saw the blurb - Song of the Lioness series (which I loved) so I'm hoping I'll be able to get around to reading it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO many people have raved about this book, so I'm sorry you didn't love it! I'm not quite fond of nonlikable main characters, but frankly, who is? ;) However, I think the world-building is why I'll have to pick this book up. It sounds phenomenal and so well done. And I've heard such great things about the sequel, so hopefully you'll enjoy that one more than the first book.

    Thanks for the lovely and honest review! <3 And have a happy new year. =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahahahahhaa. The footnote made me laugh out loud xD thanks for the honest review and happy new year Maja xD

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm with you, Maja! It seems like this book was hyped up so much that I kind of just.. forgot about it, if that makes any sense. I'm really glad you read it though, since I loved this review! I'm curious to see if I'll like Eon (when I read it, eventually..). I've been liking fantasy these days, so I can't wait to dive into the world as well. I'm glad to hear that the world-building saved you from this story! Thanks for being honest, and once again, fantabulous review, Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love fantasy but I have afraid of this book for some reason. I think the world sounds incredible though so I'm definitely going to have to read it. I'm glad that you ended up enjoying it even if it wasn't always the easiest book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've bought this books year ago when I found it very cheap on a book fair. I've tried to read it once, but it never worked out. After seeing all the positive reviews on the Internet, I was planning to read it soon, but I might wait a little longer now :) I'm happy that at least the world-building is well-done!

    Good review.

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the cover.... Very Manga-ish. I enjot fantasy books. I might give this book a shot. Thanks for the review, Maja. Happy 2013.

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  23. Eon was an occasionally frustrating character for me too, but I'm glad you loved the breathtaking and very intricate world-building! I hope Eona proves to be a better read for you, Maja. :) Stellar review as always and happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't really care for stories where a person pretends to be another gender. They never appeal to me. It's nice to read that book that's been sitting on the shelf for ages, though. It feels really good! Glad this worked out for you overall, Maja. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL at your end note!! Really interesting review, because it seems like everyone loves Eon to death! I keep getting people recommending it to me. I'm definitely a little more hesitant to read this now.. but I'm kind of in the same situation you were: it's sitting on my bookshelf and the more people recommend it, the more it stays there.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I understand where you're coming from with your qualms on this book. I did enjoy Eona's character. I can't imagine how draining living this life of lies and secrets would have been, and I think the stress of it all does wear on Eona somewhat. I do believe that she's a genuinely good character, however. The secondary characters are all great, though, I agree!

    Eona is much better, though. I do hope you're able to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't believe I've read a review of this one, actually, but I recognize the title. I'm glad there were aspects of the book you liked and you pushed through to the end. Hopefully the sequel will be better. It doesn't really sound like my type of read, however, especially if it's difficult to get through for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing review. But oh. I'm sorry you didn't truly love this book :\ I did.. Hih. But yeah. I also understand why you didn't love it :) But glad you enjoyed it a bit at least ;p Hope you'll love Eona :D I found it to be amazing :)
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.