Friday, July 6, 2012

Review: Dragon Justice (Paranormal Scene Investigations, #4)


Dragon Justice (Paranormal Scene Investigations #4)Expected release: June 24th 2012. 
Publisher: Luna
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


And so ends yet another series. Darn. I really wanted more of this one.

I can’t decide if Laura Anne Gilman is better at worldbuilding or character building. The idea of Talent, people with the ability to control electric current, the new generation of witches and wizards; and fatae, the non-human magical creatures, is too good not to be explored in detail, which is why Gilman had two loosely connected series set in this universe. While I never made it past book two in The Retrievers series (not because I didn’t want to, but because I can’t seem to find the time), I’ve been following her Paranormal Scene Investigations series closely, stalking the poor woman, pestering her on Twitter and doing other things I’m too ashamed to admit here and now.
It’s her fault, though. *points finger accusingly* You can’t write characters like Bonnie, Venec, Ian, Sharon, Nicky, Pietr and Nifty and expect not to be stalked and begged for more.

The PUPs have a lot to deal with in Dragon Justice, even more than usual. A serial killer has been killing male Talents for the last thirty years, and he appears to be human, not fatae. An untrained storm-seer saw both Ian Stosser and Wren Valere dead in the near future. An unknown Talent is gathering young girls into a coven in Central Park for an unknown purpose. And, most delicious of all, Ben Venec and Wren Valere go against each other, him tightening the security of a museum, and her trying to “retrieve” (by which I mean steal) an item from it, to Bonnie’s never-ending amusement.

Once again Gilman brings her two series together: Wren Valere showed up shortly in Tricks of the Trade while Bonnie was apartment-hunting, but she played a much more significant role in Dragon Justice. I must say that I was very excited about seeing these two heroines work together, although to me, The Wren is far less familiar than Bonnie. I also enjoyed the scenes with their two love interests, Ben Venec and Sergei Didier, especially when they started growling at each other.

If I understood correctly (and really, my attention span is not that short), there will be no more books set in this world. Two e-novellas from Danny’s perspective will be released in 2013. After that, we’ll really have to say goodbye to this world. Gilman is working on a new series I know very little about, but I'll definitely read it as soon as it becomes available.




7 comments:

  1. I've never seen this series before ! It seems like you really did enjoy it and the premise does seem very interesting. I'm glad the series ended well for you, Maja ! :)
    A strong ending to a good series can be very rare !
    Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always review these UF series that sound so good but that I've never heard of. I think...maybe...I've looked at this series once or twice? But it's a vague memory. All of the stuff you wrote about the world-building and powers and the ensemble cast sounds really great! Are these almost like procedurals - with a team investigating mysteries? I could just go look it up but I'd rather ask you. :)

    But...why is it called "Dragon Justice"? Are there Dragons?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have come across this series before but you really make me want to check it out! The world-building in particular sounds really interesting, even just based on what you've put in your review. I'm glad you enjoyed this, Maja! It's always heart-breaking when a great series comes to an end but I'm glad to see the final book didn't disappoint. :) Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad this is another series that you weren't disappointed with, I've never come across this series before, but that characters sound really interesting, so I may just have to check it out! And at least you still have two novellas to look forward too! Wonderful review Maja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lately, I keep reading your reivews about books that are late in a series... which leaves me feeling disoriented and wanting to cram all the previous books in my head, and that's not good for my sleep deprivation!

    As usual, great interview, Maja... It made me google the author and check the series in GR, which is a half step away from ordering the first installments. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when an author creates characters that bring out your stalking tendencies, Maja! Although, please show some restraint because I don't think restraining orders are fun. Not that I would know....

    Great review. Sorry this series is coming to an end for you. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this series but I found it first so now I will have time to start over and read the Wren's story. Not that I'm lacking in stories to read this Summer and Fall has some amazing releases!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.