Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Review: Blood Moon (Drake Chronicles, #5)


Blood Moon (Drake Chronicles, #5)Blood Moon by Alyxandra Harvey

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


3.5 stars

The music was bad, the fires were cozy. It was nice. Normal.
You know, until the screaming.
And that kind of scream in Violet Hill could mean only one thing.
Vampires.


Although I had a lot of fun reading it, the fifth and penultimate installment of the Drake Chronicles didn’t quite meet my expectations. Blood Moon is more like a really long chapter than an actual book. It starts exactly where Bleeding Hearts left off, with Solange’s three sets of fangs in Kieran’s neck, and it ends with another vicious cliffhanger.

Remember my Storm review from about a month ago in which I kept going on and on about the four hot Merrick brothers? Well, there are seven Drake brothers, they’re vampires and they’re all gorgeous. The youngest, Nicholas, is in a relationship with his sister Solange’s best friend Lucy, and they make the cutest couple in the history of the universe. Quinn finally abandoned his womanizing ways for Hunter, a vampire hunter and a student at the Helios-Ra academy. Logan is bound to Isaboe, a Hound vampire that survived the French Revolution. Connor is hopelessly in love with Christa, Lucy’s cousin who was recently turned into a vampire. But none of that matters now that the Blood Moon festival is approaching and their mother’s coronation is just day away.

Everyone misses the good old days when the Drake family was living in exile in Violet Hill and all they had to worry about were the Helios-Ra agents roaming the woods. Everyone, including me. I understand how a series works, I know that Harvey needed to up the stakes so close to the series finale, but the sheer number of tribes and groups, human and vampire both, that were going against the Drakes was staggering, and I was confused and lost most of the time.

Blood Moon is told from Lucy’s, Nicholas’s and Solange’s perspective. Although my favorite couple didn’t get to spend much time together, I could feel how strong their relationship has become and how much they love each other. Lucy has always been one of my favorite characters in the world, she’s what’s pulling me back toward these books and I can totally imagine her as my best friend. (She’d have to actually exist first, but you know, details.) Nicholas is not far behind, he is the perfect brother, the perfect young vampire (NOT of the vegetarian kind) and a perfect boyfriend to Lucy. I loved seeing his family and Lucy through his eyes again. Solange, on the other hand, was a disappointment. I can’t say I ever really liked her, but now she’s reached the point of no redemption. Of course the cause for her actions was made clear in the last part of Blood Moon, but I’d already stopped caring by then, and I don’t think I’ll ever care again.

Bloomsbury and Walker Children’s decided that it’s time to wrap up this series, and I have to say I agree with them. Harvey mentioned the possibility of writing a spin-off about Lucy and I truly hope she’ll get her chance. She and Nicholas are the only ones I’m not quite ready to say goodbye to. The last book is called Blood Prophecy and should be out in January 2013.



10 comments:

  1. Wait, 3 sets of fangs? Crazy! Also, you have me wanting to read about the cutest couple ever :)

    Also, it's good to know that some pubs/authors know when to end a series. Great review, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a couple of books in this series, but have yet to finish it. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Maja. This installment seems fun, but too bad it reads too much like a long chapter. I thought Lucy and Nicholas were very cute too so I can't wait to read more of their cuteness ! :)
    Lovely review, Maja ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must catch up with this series! Nicholas and Lucy are my favorite couple and story in it though. Right there with you on Solange. Never really cared either way on her story. Hunter and Quinn were also a good story. Great review Maja. Hopefully I'll like this one a little better than you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I really need to meet the Drake brothers if they're as gorgeous as the Merrick brothers I keep hearing about. You seem to be reading quite a lot of last books in the series this year, sometimes I don't want to say bye to the characters either! But I'm glad you think this series wrapped up nicely! Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucy and Nicholas have always been characters I have liked and partly the reason why I stuck to this series. I can't wait to read about them again! Although you liked this book overall, it's a shame it didn't feel more substantial. And yuck. A cliffhanger? I am bored to death with those things. Amazing review, Maja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. I had similar opinions to you on this one. My review will post later in the week. Like you, I spent a lot of time confused, far too many characters for me. And the cliffhanger was just cruel, I felt the book was only getting to the good bits and it was over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, the cutest couple in the history of the universe? I need to meet Lucy and Nicholas and find out their adorable points! <3 Cliffhanger sometimes doesn't work and it only annoys me haha. I'm sorry that this book ends with another vicious cliffhanger!

    Fantastic review, Maja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Confession: I have a crush on the Drake brothers and I'm not afraid to admit it! x) I think that Lucy and Nicholas have always been my favourite too (although Hunter & Quinn are so badass, and I LOVE that Christa and Connor are bookish like us <3), but like you, I don't think Solange and I will ever get along! And there definitely were a little too many characters and groups that they sort of blurred together. I'm pretty sure I finished this book for the sole reason that I wanted to see Lucy and Nicky together LOL :')

    You voiced everything so perfectly in your review, Maja! And a Lucy spin-off? YAY! I really hope there will be one!! :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've fallen far behind the series that I can't even remember who is who and which is which. I suck.

    Thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read any of the books in the series, but I'm glad you like them! I couldn't help but notice the cutest couple in the universe. Now I'm intrigued! Haha, wonderful review, Maja! I hope you love the final book, too. <3 :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.