Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Survival Kit



The Survival KitThe Survival Kit by Donna Freitas

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4.5 stars

Close to perfect, really close. Why hasn't everybody read Donna Freitas already? That's right, because this book is not out on e-format yet, that's why. Publishing house(s), whatcha waiting for?

Ok, let me start by saying that I was choking up on page SIX.

Let me introduce myself: my middle name is cynical. I don't choke up. I just don't. This book had me swallowing tears at least 5 times. Geeze.

Unfortunately, it hit too close to home but nevermind that, it's not exactly the point. The point is that Freitas managed to write a story that is extremely poignant and touching, that deals with the death of a beloved one (hold your horses, it is yet another of THOSE stories, but a better one) in such a sweet and intelligent way I couldn't help but wishing I lived it in a similar way.

The story starts with the death of Rose's mom. On the day of her funeral, attached to a dress hanging from her closet, Rose finds one of her mom's famous Survival Kits, with her name on it. Inside, a picture, some crayons, a paper star, a heart, a kite and an iPod. Rose will have to figure out how to put the pieces of the kit - and of her life - together to go on living.

I don't have much to say except that this is a really sweet, intense and well written book. There are some great characters which you will certainly love - Rose's self-destructive dad or her rough-round-the-edges grandma - and I wish I could have spent more time with them, I wasn't really ready to let them go.

There's also a hot hockey player/gardener involve (isn't that the hottest combination EVER? :D)

I'm not giving this book a full five star because some other characters weren't, in my opinion, as well developed as they should have been. I'm talking about Krupa and Kecia mainly, Rose's best friends, whose role as mere plot devices left them out for some big chunks of the story.

Nevertheless, for lovers of this genre, this is one book you don't really want to miss.

11 comments:

  1. Hot hockey player/ gardner that is an interesting combo! Lovely review Lisa. I am curious about what made you cry..or almost cry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my TBR list. I looove the cover. :) Excellent review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hockey play/gardener combo is...strange, to say the least. That does it for you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strange?! Imagine a hot, six-packed guy (after all of that training...) mowing your lawn, shirtless. That totally does it for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, if he does it shirtless, then maybe... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, you've convinced me! I've added this one to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful review, Lisa. Though now I feel like slapping myself for not having read any Donna Freitas, yet. But yes, I can tell you 'those kind of books' are just my type. The kind that hit on deep emotions in a smart, easy to read way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic review, Lisa! I cry easily, so to know you cried/choked up and you don't usually cry means this book must really be brilliant.

    And omg, I had no idea it was released LAST YEAR! I thought it was a 2012 release - must find a copy, STAT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you got me at hockey player/gardener! Teehee. I hadn't heard of this one before sounds like another emotional one but I'm a sucker for those anyways. Great review Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you'll love this Giselle.

    Vegan I thought the problem with this book is that it never got published in e-format, so it's not as known as many more instantly-available ones. I hope it will though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.