Sunday, November 20, 2011

Indelible

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Wow. This was – wow! I liked Intrinsical, but Indelible was SO good! I could not put this book down.


After spending the summer in Brazil with her Vovó, Yara is finally back home and reunited with Brent, Cherie and Steve. They are all hoping for a quiet senior year, a chance to get their grades in order and spend some time together, but things at Pendrell never work out quite like that. There’s a secret society determined to take advantage of Yara and Brent’s powers, an angry ghost found a way to attach itself to Yara, and on top of all that, Brent it still struggling with the consequences of last year’s events.


My favorite part of Indelible is the tender, honest relationship between Yara and Brent. I am so tired of instalove, tired of relationships based on a crooked smile and not much else. These two are equals, they complete each other in every way and even when they have problems, it’s for reasons I can actually believe. But Lani Woodland did more than just write a stable relationship – she proved that it’s entirely possible to produce a successful YA novel without resorting to love triangle clichés.


Every problem I had with Intrinsical (and really, there weren’t that many) disappeared without a trace in Indelible. Yara is now one of my favorite characters in paranormal YA. I love how she thinks things through, how she never makes stupid mistakes and always does the right thing, even when it means hurting someone she loves.


I’ve probably read more than a hundred young adult paranormal novels this year, but Indelible still found its place in my top 3. Lani Woodland did an extraordinary job of showing us and, more importantly, her fellow writers that quality still pays off.


3 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about this series before but I've sort of been waiting for one of my *cough* besties to read the series. I'm now cleared for landing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We aim to serve. :D

    Seriously, what I like the most about Lani is that she's so active on GoodReads, but in a polite, unobtrusive way. She really pays attention to what her readers are saying.

    Happy landing, Flann.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Intrinsical but haven't started it yet. It certainly sounds like a series that I will enjoy! I'll almost add anything you give a thumbs up to at this point.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.