Thursday, August 16, 2012

Review: Losing Lila (Lila, #2)


Losing Lila (Lila, #2)Author: Sarah Alderson
Publication date: August 2nd 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK
Paperback, 332 pages



One can always count on Sarah Alderson to amuse, entertain and accelerate heartbeats. Losing Lila is no different.
In my review of Hunting Lila, I described Alderson’s debut as deliciously shallow, and it was. In comparison, its successor is far more layered and emotionally demanding. There is plenty of action, yes, but we also get to peek underneath and see dilemmas and insecurities, especially Alex’s. Alderson really allowed her characters to fly free, even when they refused to fly in the right direction.

Lila and Alex are on the run, desperate to hide from the Unit and rejoin their friends. People important to them are being held and tortured by Alex’s former employers and they must find a way to rescue them. While they’re running, Lila discovers that her telekinetic power isn’t nearly as limited as it originally seemed. She can move people and even control elements to a degree. She is also steadier, more self-assured and entirely focused on her goals. (Oh, don’t worry, one of those goals IS getting Alex naked at first opportunity.) She‘s come far from the lighthearted girl with a desperate crush we were introduced to at the beginning of Hunting Lila, and maybe, just maybe, this new and improved version has a chance of bringing down her enemies – with a little help from her friends, of course.

Let’s talk about Alex for a bit, shall we? You all know you want to! Finally the man shows some flaws, and I’ll admit it, there were times when I just wanted to smack him upside the head, but a part of me is glad that we finally saw different sides of him too. Before, all those swoon-worthy moments disguised his imperfections and now they surfaced under pressure. It made Alex more real and accessible, not so much a fairy tale prince, but still an exceptional young man. Who is also hot. Did I mention he’s hot? Here’s some brain candy for you guys:

His breath was getting faster, his hands running up my spine, tangling in my hair while my fingers were grasping at his T-shirt even as my mind was one step ahead and lifting it up so I could run my hands over the hard planes of his stomach.

Once again, Alderson’s strength lies in her secondary characters. They are the source of both humor and heartbreak and they are not just cardboard cutouts designed to further complicate the plot. It is clear that she cared about them and really invested a lot of energy into every one of them. I think I’ll miss Suki, Demos and Nate much more than I’ll miss Lila, and I’m keeping my fingers crossed for some sort of spin-off in the near future.

This is supposed to be the last book, but there is room for more if Alderson ever decides to go back to the series. She did say she might write about these characters again at some point, and oh, boy, I really hope she will. But even if she doesn’t, I’m sure her next project will be just as entertaining.


21 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm really really glad to hear that Losing Lila is better than Hunting Lila. To be honest, I wasn't a huge fan of the first book, so it's good to know that I made the right decision in buying the 2nd installment this week. :)
    I thought Alex was too perfect too in the first book, so I'm happy happy to hear that he actually has flaws. Seems like this one was a winner for you, Maja.
    Lovely review as always! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed this, Maja. I'm currently reading this, I'm past the first half and I'm really loving it. It's indeed great to see different sides of Alex here. And see greater development with Lila's character. I really hope there would be a spin-off or a third book for this series too. Brilliant review, Maja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed this one more than HL as I did too! I feel as if we were the only two - along with Mandee I believe - who didn't enjoy HL, so thankfully LL was so much better! Especially the romance! *swoons at the thought of Alex* I loved how much more developed everything was in this novel while simultaneously maintaining a fast pace. I also agree with the point you made about the secondary characters - I'll definitely be missing them more than Lila. If not a spin-off series about them, though, I'd love one about Jack since his relationship with Lila really took off in this story and was such a special sibling bond. I'm really glad you liked this though, Maja! Wonderful review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah! The new look is gorgeous! I want to curl up on the couch with her and read. I also want to steal her dress, but I'll behave. Love this review and you really have me interested in this series...and Alex. That quote was HOT!! Thank you for the awesome review, Maja! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. great review, havent read any of the books inthe series but now i want to!
    cool blog!! new follower!

    http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review Maja!!!! I really love the male characters with many flaws and find them the most attractive. I can't wait to start this series sometimes, I'm glad their is more depth in this second book and that the characters are constantly changing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent review, Maja. I don't think I'll be reading these, unless you hold me down and tell me that I have to of course. They sound fun, and kind of hot! That quote made me blush a little bit. Still loving the new design! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After reading that little teaser, my mind has raced ahead too! LOL

    The effects of brain candy. I still have yet to read book one, but I'm liking the fact that it's a two book thing, with possibilities for other character's to have their story told. I hate to read reviews for book number 178, because then I know I have no hope of catching up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES to a spin-off! I will definitely miss Suki and Nate (yes, maybe even more than Lila) and don't think I'm quite ready to say goodbye to them just yet. I agree with your points about Alex. Not the fact that he is hot (though I don't not agree with that!), but that fact that it was nice to see a different side to him. Even insecure and emotional, I loved him.

    A fantastic review, Maja! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that secondary characters are, sometimes, the difference between a great book and a good book. The world is filled with unique people that we care about, either to love or to hate, so when fiction imitates that aspect, and does something with the cast beyond filling up roles... That means there is realism there, and it usually leads to great stuff.

    I really need to check this one, specially since the issues you had with book one (which held me back) seem to be fixed here.

    Great review, as usual! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...

    I really want to read this book now!
    Your reviews are all so amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your review really makes me want to like this book, Maja! I'm reading it right now and so far I am not disliking it as much as HL but I am still rolling my eyes, a lot!

    I have to agree, the secondary characters made HL for me and I have a feeling they will do the same in LL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been wanting to read Hunting Lila forever. Now the sequel is out...At least it is only two books. I intend on tryng this soon! Loved the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh you would have to tempt me with that drool-worthy quote! I can't wait to spend time with Alex again! So glad this turned out even better than the first and that Lila has matured a bit. I liked that her powers are even more than she thought they were. Brilliant review Maja. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay!! to a Lila fan :) I adore the Lila series! I also love the secondary characters - Suki, Key, Nate - I love that they added so much humor and heart-warming moments to the story. Your review makes me wanna pick up the book again to re-read it. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never read these books but they do look good! I like a guy with flaws, to be honest! It makes them more attractive to me ;)

    Haley@www.passingthepages.blogspot.com

    PS...I really like your new design ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awwww, what a coincidence! I just posted my review of Losing Lila too ;) I completely agree with everything you said, Maja! I LOVED Hunting Lila but I LOVED LOVED LOVED Losing Lila even more (which is quite unbelievable to me since Hunting Lila was THAT good!) Lila is such an AWESOME heroine and Alex! *sigh* I love all the swoon-worthy scenes between him and Lila. SO ROMANTIC! I am glad that the book does not end in a cliffhanger but I NEED a third book and I hope that Sarah will write one in the future ;)

    Awesome review, Maja! ♥ So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so happy you loved this one ever more than Hunting Lila! I don't want it to be the end of this fantastic series either, it'll be so sad saying bye to such an awesome set of characters. I hope we get a spin off series too, I read that Alderson is considering a third book too! Yay for more Alex! Lovely review hun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Crowns now,eh? I'm still waiting for something to come out of that hole.

    I read the first one with a bunch of Goodreaders and I finished it so fast. I wanted to like it so much but when I was done, I really wished so much of it was different. However, it felt like a lot of the problem was me--I wanted it to be an adult book and it wasn't and that's my own flaw as a reader and not necessarily anything in the writing. I don't think I'll read this one but I'm still happy to see that it is deeper than #1 and that more of Alex's background is explored.

    ReplyDelete
  20. THATS IT! THATS IT! Im going to read it already!I keep on reading great reviews about this book!

    Seriously hun! I am going to read this now. I loved that you enjoyed it! Omg I cant wait to meet Alex! Great review Maja. xoxoxoxox

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, I am a new follower, I will need to check out this book! I'd love a follow back at http://endlessdaysofbooks.blogspot.com/

    Candace

    PS LOVE your new design!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and commenting. If you're a fellow blogger, I'll visit and return the favor as soon as possible. If your're using Google+ to comment, please make sure that your blog link is clearly visible on your profile.

Unfortunately, this is now an award and tag free blog, but I do thank you for your consideration.